PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Jig warning

Mark Stutz
05-28-2005, 12:17 AM
I know that I'm not the only one that has come to appreciate the speed that comes with using pocket screws for some simple projects. I've used it for face frames and jigs mostly. I decided to build another basic shop storage cabinet, and figured this would make it go faster--wouldn't have to change to the dado blade, could cut everything to finished dimension, etc. Weel. I was cruising right along--hadn't cut anything too short :D , presanded the ply, and cut the pocket holes. Started assembly, and after a few screws sensed something was wrong. :eek: :( Now I have never used anything other than 3/4 stock, so haven't changed anything in the set up sinc e I got it. It turns out the stop collar had slipped, and I ended up haveing all the pockets too deep! :mad: :o During assembly, I managed to go thru the side and screwed the whole thing to my bench! :( :o :mad:

Oh, well--now I have a little more "patina" and proof that it is used! :D I managed to salvage the holes bu driving a small piece of 3/8 dowel into the pocket to take up the extra room. Haven't yet figured out a fix for the screw holes in the side yet.

Moral of the story. Check the depth stop every time you use it! :D

I really hope that I'm not the only one ever to have done something like this!

Joe Mioux
05-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Hey Mark: Haven't seen you on in awhile.

Sorry to hear about the mishap. At least it wasn't something dangerous.

Thanks for the tip
JOe

Bill Fields
05-28-2005, 1:02 AM
Mark:

Great lesson for all of us using Kreg jigs.

Have not tried this, but will soon:

-Set stop for correct depth
-Test drill and re-confirm
-Carefully mark bit where set screw strikes bit
-Grind or file a micro-notch for set screw
-Test again

ERGO--reduction of mistakes. I make a lot of mistakes, so this approach will be tried the next time I reach for my pocket hole setup.

Tx for the post!

Bill Fields

Alan Turner
05-28-2005, 4:49 AM
Mark,
A friend of mine tells me often that if you always get things right the first time you never learn anything. So, here you have an opportunity to practice your decorative inlay skills.

Brian Hale
05-28-2005, 5:44 AM
Try this..... Once your drill and collar are set for a certain depth, drill into a piece of scrap (by hand, not using the jig) and mark the hole. Use as a gage for future setups. If your jig is mounted to a piece of plywood, you can use it.

Brian

Mark Stutz
05-28-2005, 2:07 PM
Brian,
The sad partis...it comes with a depth scale marked on the jig! I just have to use it!

Alan Tolchinsky
05-28-2005, 3:32 PM
Sorry Mark, that makes for a fun day. :( Tell me how deep should the hole be? I don't have a Kreg brand but I've always adjusted the depth so that the tip of the bit just pierces the edge of the piece. I've never had a problem with this.

Harry Goodwin
05-28-2005, 4:31 PM
Sorry to hear of your colamity. I finally after so much good talk here bought the 2000 and was going to send a post of thanks since I fixed my sons door damaged in the wind. I simply cut a replacement piece put a quarter round on both sides with the router ,cut for the glass on table saw and four holes with the kreg jig and voila it worked. So easy. I will watch to be sure we learn from one anothers experiences. Harry

Jeff Sudmeier
05-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Mark,

I've had that same thing happen as well! It only need to happen once :)

Byron Trantham
05-30-2005, 10:50 AM
The holes through the sides - use a piece of "trim" to hide them. I recently was building a kitchen island and was attaching the roller inside the cabinet only to find that my countersink went through the side (which was already finished)! :mad: I "fixed it" by building a towel rack whose mounting plate covered the holes. A disaster turned into a feature. BTW my WIFE figured out the fix. I was ready to haul the whole thing to the dump. :rolleyes: