PDA

View Full Version : Drawer joints

Ellen Benkin
08-28-2013, 4:20 PM
I would like some suggestions for EASY to make drawer joints that don't require dovetails or any special router bits. This is for a couple of nightstands that I am making. The drawers will not get nearly as much use as kitchen drawers so I want to do something simple but a bit more elegant than butt joints with screws. Thanks in advance.

joseph dake
08-28-2013, 4:31 PM
Locking rabbits are what I use and don't have any bad things to say about the joint. It is very easy to set up for what ever thickness you want. All you need is a stack dado and flat top blade.

Dave Zellers
08-28-2013, 4:37 PM
This is doable on a table saw. I made drawers this way for decades and still love it for it's simplicity but now I'm in my dovetail period. Glue and a few brads will hold forever.

Kevin Bourque
08-28-2013, 4:42 PM
Tongue & dado joint is about as simple as it gets.

Andrew Fleck
08-28-2013, 5:05 PM
Rabbet joints are very easy if you are building an overlay drawer. They are very simple to do with a dado set, but they can also be done with a single blade if you don't have a dado set. Cut the rabbets, apply glue, pin with brads, and apply the overlay. It makes for a decent joint that is a step up from a butt joint.

David Hawxhurst
08-28-2013, 5:06 PM
loose tenon joint (or domino), use a different wood type for some neat contrast. loose tenon stock is quite easy to make, and can be made out of any scrape you have lying around.

HANK METZ
08-28-2013, 5:25 PM
If you have a biscuit joiner, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pTWvPBP6Ps

If you don't have one, believe it or not this model (http://www.harborfreight.com/4-plate-joiner-68987.html) from H.F. will do just fine.

Finally, dowels still perform admirably in this type of application, either blind or exposed.

glenn bradley
08-28-2013, 5:50 PM
Since you are asking for something besides butt joints . . . sliding dovetails, biscuits and pocket-holes are probably out since they all "look" like butt joints. I assume you want something with some visual pizzazz without all the fun and enjoyment of making a sophisticated joint. The drawer-lock joint (tongue and dado and other names) is my go-to drawer joint. They can be plain or fancy. For a simple false front drawer, I drawer-lock at front and rear. You can also dress up a rabbet / dado joint with contrasting dowels.

John TenEyck
08-28-2013, 7:00 PM
The rabbet/dado joint with dowels that Glenn showed is really easy and looks great. You don't often see it either, which adds to it's appeal in my eyes. Besides all that, they are plenty strong.

John

Ellen Benkin
08-28-2013, 7:10 PM
I think I should have mentioned that the drawer front will be inset not overlaid so the box and the drawer front will be the same width. Thanks for the suggestions. So far it looks like rabbets with some sort of pinning will be my best bet for the front with a dado system for the back.

Dave Zellers
08-28-2013, 7:16 PM
The rabbet/dado joint with dowels that Glenn showed is really easy and looks great. You don't often see it either, which adds to it's appeal in my eyes. Besides all that, they are plenty strong.

John
I agree. That's purdy!

Cary Falk
08-28-2013, 8:15 PM
I use the dado/rabbit. If you have false fronts, pocket holes work also.

Lee Schierer
08-28-2013, 10:47 PM
As others have stated, a locking rabbet joint is easy to make and very strong. It has good visual appeal as well. Here's a box I made with a locking rabbet joint. 269581

Bill White
08-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Hank, I never even thought about usin' biscuits. Great idea and video.
Thanks.
Bill

Andrew Pitonyak
08-29-2013, 2:15 PM
Some years back I took a class at a local woodcraft and we built an oak bookshelf. We used a kreg jig. I was astonished at how easy and fast it was, so, I bought one.

This document walks you through an entire cabinet with a kreg jig. The drawers begin on page 30.

http://www.kregtool.com/prodImages/basic_cabinetmaking_booklet.pdf

I will admit that although I have built some cabinets using the kreg jig, I usually build my drawers with hand cut dovetails, but it is a very slow process compared to the alternatives.

HANK METZ
08-29-2013, 2:18 PM
It always seemed like a logical step to me Bill, after all a drawer box is merely just another Carcase, only smaller. It’s remarkable though, the passions that are aroused when it is suggested one go against tradition and show an easier, simpler method to achieve the same end. I wish I could show some of the more inflamed responses posted to the video in the comments section. The most memorable one suggesting I heretofore refrain from making any more videos on woodworking and only shoot productions that feature an all- male cast and are shown in midnight movie houses with names like “Bijou”, “Rainbow Station”, etc. :eek:

Prashun Patel
08-29-2013, 2:41 PM
I vote for the pinned rabbets. They are very fast, and easy to measure.

Box joints are also easier to make than dovetails.