PDA

View Full Version : Is a sharp edge safer than a dull edge?

Joe Mioux
05-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Along time ago, a guy that knew knives and knew how to sharpen them properly told me that the safest knife you can have in your hand is the sharpest knife.

Now, that made sense to me immediately, however, whenever I ask one of my designers to see their knife and I tell them I need to sharpen it, they all say "don't sharpen it too sharp or else we will cut ourselves":rolleyes:

How many of you subscribe to the idea that a sharp knife is a safer knife?

Joe

Norman Hitt
05-28-2005, 1:20 AM
Joe, there are Two opposing situations here. First, the sharpest knife is the safest when used "properly", because it won't Catch or drag during the cut, but will slide on through with less effort being exerted. When less pressure is put on the knife, Slips are less likely to occur. Now for situation number two. If a person doesn't pay attention to how they pick up a knife and hold it, or if they are in the habit of leaving a knife laying around in a pile of other items with the blade open, then an accidental contact with a very sharp blade will be more likely to cause someone to be cut than if the blade is dull in the same circumstances.

I think I would reply to your designers that a sharp knife is safer to cut with, if they don't understand why, then they should learn how to properly handle knives before using them.

John Hart
05-28-2005, 7:26 AM
By far, the safest knife is the sharpest. The duller the blade, the more pressure is required for a cut and the greater chance for slipping. When the slip occurs, it is at a higher velocity because higher pressure is being exerted. Folks who want dull knives for safety shouldn't be playing with them.:eek:

Doug Shepard
05-28-2005, 8:01 AM
Ask your designers which one they more often get nicks and cuts from: A brand new sharp razor blade or a dull one? They should be able to see the parallel.

Joe Mioux
05-30-2005, 9:32 AM
Ask your designers which one they more often get nicks and cuts from: A brand new sharp razor blade or a dull one? They should be able to see the parallel.

Doug, excellent point. At the moment, all my designers are women. This debate has fallen down the lines of men v. women, btw. Guys want them sharp, the women don't want them too sharp.

Michael Gibbons
05-30-2005, 11:10 AM
O.K. this is basically a wooworking forum right? So what would you rather have in your tablesaw, A nice,shiney, new, super sharp, Forrest WWII or a rusty, dull, Asian knockoff? Get my drift? You can always go to blade forums or knife forums and ask them. They'll say the same thing. There is no blade sharp enough. Only question is "how long will it stay sharp under hard use?"

Ken Salisbury
05-30-2005, 12:21 PM
All I can say is that somewhere along in about 1944 I learned from my Grandfather (a pattern and wagon maker) that any decent pocket knife had to be sharp enough to shave with. To this day I keep all my pocket knives razor sharp. I now use a Lansky Sharpening System on my knives along with a large leather belt as a strop.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a sharp knife is waaaay more safe than a dull one.

p.s. Do not let anyone use your knife or it won't stay sharp for long :D :) Besides, the dummies might cut themselves. ;) :)

Dan Gill
05-30-2005, 1:28 PM
The idea is that a dull edge will hang up and require more force, making it more likely that the blade will slip. Obviously, if contacted, a sharp edge will cut easier. But really it doesn't matter. Edges are supposed to be sharp - that's what they are for.

Dennis Peacock
05-30-2005, 2:03 PM
A sharp edge is MUCH safer than a dull edge......
Same goes for a good wood chisel, plane iron, saw blade, planer knives and such. I find it takes a lot less force to cut cleanly and safely with a sharp edge than a moderate to dull edge any ol' day of the week. :D

Doug Shepard
05-30-2005, 2:58 PM
Doug, excellent point. At the moment, all my designers are women. This debate has fallen down the lines of men v. women, btw. Guys want them sharp, the women don't want them too sharp.

You must work with a pretty hairy legged bunch too:D Either that or all sorts of nicks and cuts from ankle to thigh:D

Jim Stastny
05-31-2005, 3:30 PM
My dad taught me that the most dangerous tool is a dull one. Why? It takes more effort to use it, more pressure means if you slip it will dig deeper where it isn't supposed to go (like into a hand); it will not cut clean, thus it is apt to slip, gouge, and tear rather than slice cleanly. Think of it this way: Would you rather use a sharp chisel or dull one? Which do you think will create more problems?

David Fried
05-31-2005, 3:46 PM
I too was taught the sharp knife is safer.
But what are they cutting? Flowers???
Perhaps the knife is sharp enough.
If it cuts flowers fine but doesn't accidently cut things that come into contact with it while its laying around then perhaps it is sharp enough.
Seems to me that there is alot of ground between sharp enough to shave with and so dull as to be dangerous.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-31-2005, 3:55 PM
I was using a dull pocket knife to widdle down a hockey stick. I was really shoving hard on it, when I slipped and hit my thumb. Cut two nerves and a tendon. They fixed the tendon. One of the nerves repaired itself, to this day, the other nerve is damage, no feeling there :)

So long story short DON"T cut towards yourself EVER!! With a sharp knife I wouldn't have had to shove so hard and I would have been able to cut away from myself easier :)

Donnie Raines
05-31-2005, 4:18 PM
Sharp is safer....plus it hurts far less when it plunges through your index finger. You notice the blood running out...then trickling on the floor....then it hurts.

Plus, the doctor said it was easier to hide the "seem" when stiched up ...for it had a cleaner edge.

:rolleyes: ;)