PDA

View Full Version : New computer: Worth it ?

Clarence Martin
08-28-2013, 3:33 PM
The old Dell is about ready to kick the bucket! Took a look at some computers and saw this one.

Asus - Desktop - 16GB Memory - 3TB Hard Drive

Model: M11BBUS002S

Anyone got this or seen it ? Worth the upgrade from a 6 year old Dell running Vista??

Jim Rimmer
08-28-2013, 5:22 PM
Don't know anything about that computer but... whatever you get make sure you get Windows 7. Windows 8 was made for touch screens and doesn't work well on a regular computer or laptop.

Clarence Martin
08-28-2013, 5:45 PM
With Windows 8 on the market now, I thought the computer companies stopped installing Windows 7 on new computers

Tony Joyce
08-28-2013, 5:54 PM
The old Dell is about ready to kick the bucket! Took a look at some computers and saw this one.

Anyone got this or seen it ? Worth the upgrade from a 6 year old Dell running Vista??

Not familiar with this model, but I've had very good luck with Asus products. Get Win 7 Pro.

Tony

Brian Elfert
08-28-2013, 9:20 PM
I bought a new computer about 18 months ago. The single biggest thing that makes my computer fast is the SSD I installed in it. The SSD I have cost about $80.

glenn bradley
08-28-2013, 9:33 PM
With Windows 8 on the market now, I thought the computer companies stopped installing Windows 7 on new computers

Windows 8 is available at all the toy stores. Any business outlet will have Windows 7 machines available. It was interesting that Fry's didn't have a single Windows 7 machine in the building last time I was there. They know their target customer base. You can buy direct from Dell or HP and others and get Windows 7 as well . . . or just use Linux ;-)

Curt Harms
08-29-2013, 9:13 AM
Windows 8 is available at all the toy stores. Any business outlet will have Windows 7 machines available. It was interesting that Fry's didn't have a single Windows 7 machine in the building last time I was there. They know their target customer base. You can buy direct from Dell or HP and others and get Windows 7 as well . . . or just use Linux ;-)

I was in a MicroCenter recently and they had quite a few machines with Win 7 installed. I was on Lenovo's site recently and they offer quite a few machines with Win 7. I've never used Win 8 but from what I read, install one of the 3rd party desktops e.g. classic desktop, start8 etc. and it's not as bad as its portrayed. I doubt I'd buy a machine with Win 8 installed due to "secure boot" but I have reasons that probably don't matter to most.

Maurice Arney
08-29-2013, 9:47 AM

It all depends on what you planning to do with your computer. What you need (and what you will pay) largely depends on the types of applications you will be running. This looks like a decent system but you need to think about what it will be used for. In fact unless your "old Dell" is broken, it may just need a tune up! But I will join others in saying that Windows 8 (and Vista too for that matter) are not good choices for an OS.

Roger Feeley
08-29-2013, 4:42 PM
I have to run Windows 7 for work. I'm not wild about any MS Operating system but W7 seems ok. I liked XP better. I suppose I will have to go to W8 someday but I don't want to.

Paul McGaha
08-29-2013, 6:20 PM
I think I've been pretty lucky with the computers for our house. I actually paid an up-charge to get XP on a desktop a few years ago (when they were really pushing Vista).

I bought a laptop with Windows 7 on it when Windows 8 was just coming out.

I'm happy with what I have. Seem to be pretty problem free. Both of them were Dell computers bought from Costco. I think we're set for some time now.

PHM

Mike Henderson
08-29-2013, 7:22 PM
I bought a new computer about 18 months ago. The single biggest thing that makes my computer fast is the SSD I installed in it. The SSD I have cost about $80.

+1. An SSD makes a world of difference in speed. I'll never have a computer without an SSD from now on.

Mike

Dave Lehnert
08-29-2013, 10:49 PM
+1. An SSD makes a world of difference in speed. I'll never have a computer without an SSD from now on.

Mike

What is SSD?

Rich Engelhardt
08-30-2013, 7:05 AM
SSD = solid state drive.

Faster and less power demand than a disk drive.

Re: Win 8 - friends never let friends buy or use any "even release number" of a Microsoft Product.

I learned that back when DOS 4.0 came out.