PDA

View Full Version : Endgrain Sealant Opnions Needed

Bob Coleman
08-28-2013, 1:30 PM
Unfortunately, three old walnut trees I have in the yard have succumbed to thousand cankers disease and have to come down. All three are around 21” in diameter so I thought I would try and harvest some lumber. So on to my question:

I have an old can of sealtite 60 I can use for sealing the endgrain, but would like anyone’s opinion if anchorseal or anchorseal 2 is a better product?

Thanks in advance!
Bob

Mark Bolton
08-28-2013, 2:13 PM
If your going to have them sawn relatively soon mis-mix paint from the hardware or home center is fine. A couple coats of cheap paint would suffice.

Izzy Camire
08-28-2013, 3:30 PM
I have used Anchor Seal and found it to work very well

Prashun Patel
08-28-2013, 3:46 PM
Ask the Wood Turners here: AS Original is generally regarded as superior to AS2. AS2 does not appear to be that effective.

Howard Acheson
08-31-2013, 11:17 AM
I've only used the Anchorseal but the sealtite 60 looks similar.

John TenEyck
08-31-2013, 3:23 PM
Plain old paint works for me; two coats as ASAP. If I had to go buy something, I'd get aluminum roof coating. Like pretty much all woods, walnut will end check if you don't get the ends coated PDQ after felling. But once you get that done you have a big window to get them cut into lumber. Sooner is almost always better, but walnut has a very high rot resistance. I've sawed some after 2 years sitting on the ground and the heart wood was still perfect.

John