PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening with a Worksharp2000?

Wade Lippman
08-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't turn as much as I would like because I really hate sharpening. AFAIK there is nothing better than a wolverine jig and I am just lousy with it. I have tried using carbide tools, but they just don't work like gouges.

I bought a WS2000 a couple years ago when Sears had them for $8, but never found much use for it. So I thought maybe I can sharpen gouges on it.
It took a little experimentation to find a good geometry, but this seems to work pretty well. It is much easier than using a grinding wheel.
Am I overlooking anything that would make this impractical?
So far I have just used an old gouge to debug it, and would appreciate some input before I put a gouge I care about on it.

Jeff Gilfor
08-28-2013, 1:04 PM
Looks pretty cool to me. If the angles are right it should be okay. Why is this easier than a grinding wheel?

Wade Lippman
08-28-2013, 5:59 PM
Working against a large flat surface is just easier than against a narrow curved surface.
It seems pretty idiot proof on the WS, but was very frustrating on the grinder.

So, I am hoping I am not missing something!

robert baccus
08-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Great idea yeah. What grit/abrasive is that. Your adapter is very well done. For years I sharpened on an 8" disc sander. If there is one possible problem it might be that you cannot get a concave bevel. I never found that to be a real problem except honing the edge.

Wade Lippman
08-29-2013, 11:03 AM
The WS came with 80 and 220. 80 is way too coarse. 220 seems about right, but I'd like to check 320.

Prashun Patel
08-29-2013, 11:20 AM
The issue with the Worksharp (I have one too) is that the abrasive wears fairly quickly. Turning tools take a punishing vs. flat blades, IMHO, and you'll be changing the paper too often for my taste.

I see you are using a vari-grind. That thing really makes sharpening on the grinder a snap. If you are having issues, I submit that your problem is the wheel you are using. It might not be properly balanced. If not, the tool can bounce on the wheel which can prevent it from sharpening properly and cause it to be thrown about impairing your ability to roll it smoothly from wing to wing.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Did you change out your stock grey wheel for an AO wheel? I'm sure others will jump in touting the fabulous new CBN wheels.