PDA

View Full Version : 13" mesquite platter cut from mesquite stump at root.

byron constantine
08-28-2013, 12:19 PM
This is a 13" mesquite platter from the root. The 1/2" inlay on the rim is done with several stones,turquoise,azurite,malachite and
florite. The turquoise is harder than the rest so i placed it on the bottom. Finnish is antique oil,buffed and renaissance wax,Byron269508269509

alex grams
08-28-2013, 1:46 PM
Very nice looking. I like the inlay on the rim, it adds a very nicely balanced accent to the piece.

charlie knighton
08-28-2013, 3:20 PM
very nice, unusual large grain for mesquite from the stump huh, like your inlay very much, since mesquite does not move very much, it helps returning the edge with the inlay, any tips you can reveal?

byron constantine
08-28-2013, 10:40 PM
very nice, unusual large grain for mesquite from the stump huh, like your inlay very much, since mesquite does not move very much, it helps returning the edge with the inlay, any tips you can reveal?

Charlie,
I did'nt have any trouble with movement, mesquite is probably the most stable out there. The inlay is approx 3/16" and i start
with the big pieces and dribble thin ca to hold them in place and start adding the other minerals and more ca etc. I use silicon carbide sandpaper to get it down to the wood and then go to aluminum oxide paper then out. This is about the 4th stone
inlay i have done so far, not an expert at it. I have turned a lot of natural edge meaquite bowls green start to finnish with
no movement at all. That is why i love to turn mesquite. Byron

Kathy Marshall
08-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Very nice platter Byron! The stability of mesquite makes it perfect for platters turned green to finish. The inlay looks great too!

Harvey M. Taylor
08-29-2013, 3:59 AM
I,too love mesquite. Recently I lost about 50 pieces due to me not treating it with bug killer even before I loaded it on the trailer. Mostly powder=post beetles and worms the size of a pencil. wont go again without bug killer spray.

charlie knighton
08-29-2013, 7:33 AM
sorry about your loss, the worms turn into flying insects
sort of make a home