PDA

View Full Version : I've got a workbench!!!!

Erin Raasch
05-27-2005, 11:23 PM
At long last, I've got my own dedicated, tailored-to-hand-tool-use workspace. I topped my bench with 2 sheets of MDF, framed up on the underside with squared-off 2x4s and edged with maple. The maple edging is cut 1/4" proud of the MDF to allow for a piece of replaceable hardboard to be dropped in. The vise is walnut trimmed with an odd bit of tiger maple I had in the shop.

After having to make do with much-less-than-optimal work surfaces, clamping and vise set-ups, it is just an absolute joy to have a workspace that doesn't so much as wiggle, holds my work securely, and is at just the right height for me!

I don't know if they show up in the pictures, but I got a couple of the Wonder Pup sets from Lee Valley - the Wonder Pup plus bench pup combo - and just as everyone said, they work great!

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas, suggestions and encouragement. Now that I've got a bench, I'm really looking forward to starting on some hand tool projects!

Joe Mioux
05-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Good looking bench Erin, I like the MDF top. Very functional.

Congrats a very nice looking workbench
Joe

John Miliunas
05-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Hey Erin, that turned out mighty fine, me thinks! And, for the sake of the Net viewers out there, I got to see the base of that thar bench up close and personal! Real nice joinery on it and it should last a long, LONG time! :) BTW, how is Scott's bench coming along? Was he able to get the base stabalized a bit more? That's gonna' be a monster, too! :) Anyhow, nice job! Enjoy it!:cool:

Jerry Olexa
05-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Very nice work, Erin!

Mark Stutz
05-28-2005, 12:38 AM
Erin ,
That's a really nice touch on the vise. I love that combination of wood together.

Mark Singer
05-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Erin,

Great looking bench! It is the best tool in the shop.

Tim Sproul
05-28-2005, 1:12 AM
looks good.

Put some dog holes in the front apron........they you can support longer boards for edge jointing.

Alan Turner
05-28-2005, 4:46 AM
Erin,
Congrats. Use it well. For me, the bench is the most important tool in the shop as far as hand work is concerned. If you can't hold wood, you can't work it properly.

Marc Hills
05-28-2005, 9:42 PM
After having to make do with much-less-than-optimal work surfaces, clamping and vise set-ups, it is just an absolute joy to have a workspace that doesn't so much as wiggle, holds my work securely, and is at just the right height for me!

Congratulations, Erin; that is a beautiful bench. And as others, as well as you have said, a solid, properly-sized bench is a joy. When I finished mine and started using it, I fell in love with hand tools all over again.

Brave new world!

Jim Becker
05-28-2005, 9:52 PM
Beautiful bench, Erin. 'Just the ticket for what you started out to accomplish...a great place to work!

Roy Wall
05-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Erin,

More congrats...........the bench looks great. You should be well pleased!! Nifty idea to dress up the face vise with two woods.....very nice touch!!

You have done well - its sturdy, the correct height, and renewable!!:)

Dan Forman
05-29-2005, 3:59 AM
Erin---Kudos on the bench, love the vise treatment. Is that a Millers Falls smoother? I can only hope my own bench will turn out so well.

Dan

Jay Knoll
05-29-2005, 7:32 AM
Erin

Wonderful job and a great looking vise --have fun with it!

Jay

John Dingman
05-29-2005, 9:16 AM
Erin,

That's a very nice bench. I am sure you will get years of use out of it. Best of luck to you!

John

Dan Racette
05-29-2005, 8:39 PM
Super looking work Erin. Hope you host a club event this year sometime!

Did you get your wood for that from that place in Verona?

Dan

Louis Bois
05-29-2005, 9:30 PM
Erin!!! You scared me for a sec there...

I thought you chopped off your dog-leg base configuration!!! :eek::eek::eek: I assume that you've got your current vise (as shown) mounted on the backside of the bench with the dog-leg support structure against the wall...just out of the right side of the photo?!? Please tell me I'm right!!!:eek:

I seem to recall that this is a temporary top with a solid top to follow...INCLUDING THE SHOULDER VISE?!? and that this current vise will be used elsewhere?

I'm confused...not at all a difficult state of mind for me...

Erin Raasch
05-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Erin!!! You scared me for a sec there...

I thought you chopped off your dog-leg base configuration!!! :eek::eek::eek: I assume that you've got your current vise (as shown) mounted on the backside of the bench with the dog-leg support structure against the wall...just out of the right side of the photo?!? Please tell me I'm right!!!:eek:

I seem to recall that this is a temporary top with a solid top to follow...INCLUDING THE SHOULDER VISE?!? and that this current vise will be used elsewhere?

I'm confused...not at all a difficult state of mind for me...

You're absolutely right on all counts. ;)

Since I cut the top to extend all the way across the dogleg, it meant that one corner was unsupported. I thought it would be better to have that unsupported corner in the back where it would be subject to less stress, so I turned the base around backwards. Sorry if I caused you a fright. :o

I'm not sure what I'll do with the current vise once I get the hardwood top built; I won't have a use for it on the bench then, but perhaps I can find another spot in the shop for it. It's almost too purty not to use. :D

Erin

Erin Raasch
05-29-2005, 10:53 PM
looks good.

Thanks!

Put some dog holes in the front apron........they you can support longer boards for edge jointing.

That sounds like a neat idea - I may just do that. I don't recall that I've come across that idea before, but I think I like it better than having a bench slave to trip over when it's not in use. :D

Erin

Erin Raasch
05-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Erin---Kudos on the bench, love the vise treatment. Is that a Millers Falls smoother? I can only hope my own bench will turn out so well.

Dan

That's my MF #8 (the baby of the bunch). I've also got a pair of #9s, a #10, #14, #18 and #22. I've been working on the #10 and #18 this weekend, just got the 18 up and running this morning. Now I'm itching to mill up some wood just to have an excuse to use it! :p

Erin

Tom Stovell
05-30-2005, 9:18 AM
Thanks for posting those pictures of your bench. We had chatted briefly about your bench during the Handtool Chat on a Tuesday. It does look like a place to work!

Tom

Takeshi Uchida
05-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Erin-san, your bench looks good and comfortable to work with.
Workbench is mother of all. Good project is made on good bench.
and the plane ? is also attactive for Japanese woodworker. :)
It's coincidence, few weeks ago, I made my work bench too .

yw shun
05-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Even your "temporary'' top looks that solid and well-made, I am wondering what i have to expect for your final hardwood top. May I ask you to take as much photos as possible when you build your final top so that I have something to follow............ well to copy if you don't mind :D

By the way while I am looking for my vises, I find some wonderful stuff I would to share here. http://www.fine-tools.com/spindel.htm
The price seems very reasonable even though you have to pay the shipping fee to your country.
They even have a table for the international shiping charge here
http://www.fine-tools.com/versand.htm#zieldrechner
Remember you don't need to pay the 16% German VAT which is included in their catalog price.

Of course , I am in no way affliated to the company