PDA

View Full Version : Which one do you recommend me buying?

Darrin Davis
08-27-2013, 4:42 PM
I'm am about to pull the trigger on either a Laserpro Mercury III 25 watt or a Pinnacle Mercury II 30 watt. I have settled on these 2 mainly because of the price.

The Laserpro Mercury III 25 watt is $12,400 and includes the machine, honeycomb vector cutting table, coreldraw x5, 2 year warranty on all non-consumable parts, free tech support, and shipping. (total cost $12,400).

The Pinnacle Mercury II 30 watt is $13,900 and includes the machine, cutting table, shipping, and support. (total cost $13,900)

These prices were quoted to us as a high school technology program so I think the prices are pretty good.

I already own the coreldraw program so the one with the Laserpro would just be an additional license.

Fire away with any opinions you may have!

Thanks!

Martin Boekers
08-27-2013, 4:55 PM
I'd go most power you can afford. We never want less, but always wish for more! :) Corel Draw has Educational Editions at a very discounted price so whatever software you use check out those versions first. Not familiar with those lasers and what the differences are besides power. I believe Corel does have a subscription service now as Adobe, but you can still buy stand alones. Subscriptions might be good for students as they can just get it for the length of their classes and work on layouts at home. Just a quick question have you checked with Trotec? We get a discount for being a member of SMC and they might have special pricing for Education use. Their prices have come down quite a bit over the years. I know money can be tight, but for a few $$$ more you may be able to get more power and versatility. Worth at least a look see.

Bruce Dorworth
08-27-2013, 6:24 PM
Darin, what are you planning are using you Laser for? Like the previous person said more power is better. Have you registered with Epilog for their used lasers? They come up every so often and the price is right in your price range, with a warranty and more power some times.

Bruce

Howard Garner
08-27-2013, 6:57 PM
If you don't mind use, there is a 50 watt VersaLaser 3.50 on ebay.
Price is in your range.

Howard Garner

Scott Shepherd
08-27-2013, 7:19 PM
You can buy a brand new machine with more power for less than those figures. WAY less than those figures with WAY more power.

Rodne Gold
08-28-2013, 1:11 AM
I would go for Spirits over the Mercury series if you can.
There is little difference between 25 and 30 watt machines ... 25 to 40w is a useful "upgrade".
GCC is a very good reliable make , we have used and abused ours for many years in a very heavy production environment.

Adan Bailey
08-28-2013, 4:52 AM
You have best plan to choose the right one machine what you feel to get satisfied result. I am in favor of chinese laser machine which can fulfill to your needs and requirements.

Rodne Gold
08-28-2013, 6:18 AM
I would never buy a chinese machine for a school machine , the risk of HT shock , poor quality control and even "real" adherence to codes albeit they have certification etc could leave the school majorly exposed to some liability action with no recourse to the supplier ..
You are not dealing with experienced users who understand the machine and risks , you are dealing with young folk who can poke their fingers anywhere , mess with the machine and generally do stupid things that youngsters do.

Mike Null
08-28-2013, 6:34 AM
Excellent points, Rodney.

Dave Sheldrake
08-28-2013, 9:27 AM
I agree with Rod, a US supplied Chinese may well be ok (assuming the US dealer has done the required work) but a direct supply Chinese into a school or teaching environment is a recipe for disaster!

For me this wouldn't be about value or machine price, My foremost consideration would be the safety of youngsters. I'd be looking for something that could be powered up then driven through a metaphorical car wash with me sat on top before letting young people within a 100 feet of it.

Even something simple like the chocolate locks on the tube doors can be yanked open when locked by an overly inquisitive kid leaving them open to all sorts of horrors.

The supplied safety certificates?

toilet roll at best, they can be framed next to a copy of the cheque you could end up paying in damages if somebody got hurt. I had an HSE inspector look over a Chinese metal cutting machine last week, had it been one I fitted in an industrial workshop I'd be looking at 31 safety / legal violations as supplied!!

I love Chinese machines....around kids? not a chance

cheers

Dave

Martin Boekers
08-28-2013, 11:51 AM
If funding is an issue, consider trying something like Kickstarter as some here have. Not only teach them the Tech end, but some business also...

Eduardo Rivera
08-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Hi Darrin
I have been working with a 1080k laser machine from camfive. I am very pleased with it I cut and engrave wood and acrylic. You should check it out their machines are affordable and reliable. I got a very good customer service from them too. check it out. cheers.