PDA

View Full Version : WB topcoat over oil stain question

David Huston
08-27-2013, 3:24 PM
I have some closet organizers that I built and installed a year or so ago that were finished with Minwax Ebony stain and Minwax Oil Poly. Now I am just getting around to making some crown molding for them and was wondering if I can spray EM2000 over the minwax oil stain? I know the EM2000 has a slight amber tone to it, will it look much different that the oil based poly? Would I need anything in between the stain and EM2000? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

John TenEyck
08-27-2013, 3:37 PM
I don't have any experience with that particular WB product, but I've never had any problems putting WB topcoats over OB stain as long as I wait for the stain to completely dry. For me, that means waiting at least 48 hours, 72 hours being even safer. If you have any concerns about adhesion you can apply a coat of dewaxed shellac over the stain (but you still have to wait for it to dry completely), and then apply your topcoat.

John

Conrad Fiore
08-28-2013, 12:49 PM
+1 as John said. The EM2000 color should be a very close match to the Minwax oil poly, which darkens to amber over time.

Michael Heffernan
08-28-2013, 1:24 PM
I spoke with Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing about WB finish over oil based stain. Not preferred, but can be done. Make sure the stain is completely dry (min 48 hours, preferrably 72-96 hours). Wipe off all the pigment residue with clean lint free cloths until the cloth is coming up clean. It's best to spray a coat of dewaxed shellac over the stain, light sand, then go at it with the EM2000.
I just finished a couple of large salad bars in cherry, with Minwax oil based cherry stain. Stain dried for 96 hours, wiped clean, coat of shellac and four coats of General Finishes WB Enduro Var. Came out great.

Don Selke
08-28-2013, 7:52 PM
1lb cut of dewaxed shellac works for me, I do not sand the shellac, I sand the first coat of top coat.