PDA

View Full Version : American Beauty Blade

Joe Tilson
08-27-2013, 11:12 AM
A few weeks ago My wife and I happened upon a yard sale, and a man sold my five planes for $50.00. One was a Veritas flush plane which sells for for $40.00 at LV. Two were #5 Bailey's, one was a Apr. 19, 10 and is a 5C. the other is a post WWII with a plastic knob. The early version has an American Beauty blade on it. Now finally, my question is as to the blade being any good? It seems I heard this mentioned when I was much younger.

Jim Koepke
08-27-2013, 12:28 PM
The early version has an American Beauty blade on it. Now finally, my question is as to the blade being any good?

The best way to find out may be to sharpen it up and give it a work out on a piece of scrap.

If it keeps cutting for a while then it is likely okay. It could be compared to the blade in the other plane.

What were the other two planes?

How about some pictures? Pictures of yard sale finds are inspirational. They get many of us to go out and sniff the air for some good 'ol rust.

jtk

Joe Tilson
08-27-2013, 1:01 PM
Jim, I haven't mastered how to put pictures on this sight yet. I will try. Give me a little while.

george wilson
08-27-2013, 1:14 PM
What's in a name? A blade by any other name could cut as sweet!

Joe Tilson
08-27-2013, 1:30 PM
Tried to put pictures on, but it didn't work.

Jim Koepke
08-27-2013, 1:54 PM
Tried to put pictures on, but it didn't work.

Here is a post that guides you through the process:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167711-posting-photos-as-of-June-2011

The most encountered problem is if your image file is too large. You may have to save it as a smaller jpeg to upload it to SMC.

Hope this helps,

jtk

Joe Tilson
08-28-2013, 3:46 PM
Just to let you know, the old American Beauty blade does a good job. now when I get the plane cleaned up, it will be a keeper.