PDA

View Full Version : Auger files

Edward Mitton
08-27-2013, 10:19 AM
I have been looking quite some time for auger files to sharpen Russell - Jennings augers. None of the flea markets, antique shops, or yard sales I have visited have turned up anything close. I was wondering if it would be OK to make my own by grinding off the edge teeth from the tapered files found in miniature/needle file sets to use for this purpose. Has anyone tried this?

Hilton Ralphs
08-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Nice idea. I haven't tried this though but if you stuff things up, just spend the $10 and get one from Lee Valley.

David Weaver
08-27-2013, 10:30 AM
I have been looking quite some time for auger files to sharpen Russell - Jennings augers. None of the flea markets, antique shops, or yard sales I have visited have turned up anything close. I was wondering if it would be OK to make my own by grinding off the edge teeth from the tapered files found in miniature/needle file sets to use for this purpose. Has anyone tried this?

A good needle file is worth more than the auger bit file costs. I'd just get an auger bit file the next time you order something. You could also get a barrette or warding file and grind it safe, but again, it would need to be american pattern and it would cost more than an auger bit file. A needle file is a bit small and light for the job.

Kim Malmberg
08-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi Edward
I have sharpened auger bits with all kinds of files, including auger bit files. Sure enough, the auger bit file is shaped in a way that is rather comfortable around a auger bit, but in all honesty I've found small quality needle files to be more helpful. Yes, you can grind safe edges on your needle files, but in my experience, if you're careful there's no need for it. You can always add tape to an edge if you feel uncertain. I'd say get yourself a good set of quality needle files and use them for your auger bits as well as other tasks. The auger bit files produced Today are probably made somewhere cheap anyway and their use is rather limited. And if you haven't sharpened auger bits before, start by practicing on some cheap or already damaged ones.

Cheers, Kim

Jim Koepke
08-27-2013, 12:20 PM
Buy a few of them to save on the shipping since you will likely wear at least one out. They also come in handy for tuning spoke shaves and planes.

It is possible to use other files to do the job, just be careful. An auger file is a fairly fine cut. Maybe a saw file would work. It would be easy to grind of the edge of a larger one.

You may also want to get a few slip stones or small oil stones. With care one can get the cutting edge very sharp. It was kind of fun a month or so ago after sharpening a center bit, being able to make a continuous shaving while boring a hole.

If you haven't sharpened an auger bit you may want to search for instructions or read this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131238-A-Bit-About-Augers

jtk

george wilson
08-27-2013, 1:20 PM
Augers have some hardness to them,and might shorten the life of a needle file. What about an extra slim taper saw file,maybe w/the edges ground smooth? I'd just use the file as is. Just don't file the wrong places. If you have real small augers,you might have to grind the end of the file to a smaller taper.

Edward Mitton
08-27-2013, 2:04 PM
Thank you all for the tips and info!

Steve Bates
08-27-2013, 5:35 PM
Grinding a safe edge on a triangular(saw) file is also used on filing external 60 degree threads. One side of one thread at a time. I hadn't thought to try it on a auger bit.

peter gagliardi
08-27-2013, 8:10 PM
Msc, or McMaster Carr has them, as many as you like.