PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Acrylic

Walt Langhans
08-27-2013, 8:05 AM
Hi Folks!

So I've got some 1/8" mirrored plexiglass on the way, and it dawned on me this morning (order it last night) that since it's mirrored it might provide some unexpected challenges. Anyone worked with this stuff and have any advice or am I overthinking this and it's just business as usual like regular plexi?

Thanks!

Jiten Patel
08-27-2013, 8:28 AM
From my experience Walt, it's pretty much business as usual. I always reverse engrave (mirrored facing down), but I am pretty sure (not certain) that you can cut and engrave with the mirror facing up too without worrying about reflection....but I'm sure someone else will chip in to confirm or debunk this.

Dan Hintz
08-27-2013, 8:41 AM
From my experience Walt, it's pretty much business as usual. I always reverse engrave (mirrored facing down), but I am pretty sure (not certain) that you can cut and engrave with the mirror facing up too without worrying about reflection....but I'm sure someone else will chip in to confirm or debunk this.

Yeppers. Since the acrylic absorbs the laser's energy, by the time you cut down to the reflective layer you've destroyed it with heat.

Walt Langhans
08-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Cool! Thanks guys :D

Dave Sheldrake
08-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Like Dan said Walt, business as usual , just be aware that the dissimilar materials (sheet and backing) can cause some crazing on the front cut face if cut from the back, I engrave from either side (depending on job) and cut from the front.

cheers

Dave

Jerome Stanek
08-27-2013, 4:00 PM
Some of the mirror acrylic that we use is reflective on both sides.

Dave Sheldrake
08-27-2013, 4:21 PM
First surface mirror can be an issue if it's higher grade metallised stuff.

I saw a 150 watt RECI last week that didn't like a reversed optical train very much :(

cheers

Dave

Dan Hintz
08-27-2013, 4:56 PM
Some of the mirror acrylic that we use is reflective on both sides.
Cover one side with transfer tape, laser through the tape.

Joe Pelonio
08-27-2013, 8:31 PM
Cover one side with transfer tape, laser through the tape.

I agree. It works great to engrave the back, then back paint for a colored image on mirror background, or better yet, cover the back with translucent vinyl after engraving so light comes through to hang in a window.

While this subject has been disputed, I have two blemishes on the inside of my glass door from when I tried to cut mirror acrylic mirror up without transfer tape. I was watching and saw the beam reflect up. A bit scary.

William Wong
08-28-2013, 2:27 AM
hi walt, for the mirror, you need to clean it each week, especially when your material is wood or cloth/fabric, when cutting, there will be a lot of smoke and then makes the mirror dirty. you need to clean it to keep a high precision work

Dan Hintz
08-28-2013, 7:30 AM
hi walt, for the mirror, you need to clean it each week, especially when your material is wood or cloth/fabric, when cutting, there will be a lot of smoke and then makes the mirror dirty. you need to clean it to keep a high precision work

William,

We're talking about cutting mirrored acrylic, not laser optics/mirrors...

William Wong
08-28-2013, 8:21 AM
sorry, dan. i am also learning a lot from this forum...especially from your guys..thanks

Walt Langhans
08-28-2013, 12:45 PM
It should be here Thursday, so I'll see what happens. But just in case it starts reflecting the beam everywhere I'll make sure I have my bast shields lowered :D

Brian Robison
08-28-2013, 12:58 PM
An acrylic cutting grid will help with flash marks when you cut it mirror side down.

Walt Langhans
09-06-2013, 1:45 PM
Ok that was WEIRD!

Just got around to messing with the mirrored acrylic... Very odd to look through the top cover of your machine and see yourself staring back at you! LOL!!

@ Joe, I'll have to try the technique sounds neat!

Anyone else have any cool ideas for mirrored acrylic?

Dan Hintz
09-06-2013, 3:35 PM
Ok that was WEIRD!

Just got around to messing with the mirrored acrylic... Very odd to look through the top cover of your machine and see yourself staring back at you! LOL!!

Now you have me wondering what would happen if you put a cat on top of the machine... not only would there be a laser point to chase, but the cat would try to attack itself.

Walt Langhans
09-06-2013, 4:34 PM
Dan, you're killing me!!! Can't stop laughing!!!