PDA

View Full Version : So if a guy wanted to try carving...

Matt Ranum
08-26-2013, 10:36 PM
I've had an interest in carving for a while now but the list of things to get to never seems to let me get serious about it. But, this coming weekend there is an estate sale a few miles away in which the gentleman in question has put up for sale his carving tools, supplies, 20+ years worth of carving magazine subscriptions, books, etc. This is sale #2 of a 2 weekend sale. The first was this past weekend where I got some good buys on some neanderthal tools. I keep telling myself I need to go back there. :p Maybe this will be something to allow me to try my hand at some simple carving down the road.

Question is, for a complete newbie, what are some good basic tools to look for?

Here is a link to the sale if you want to look around. Looks like there will be quite a bit of wood at this sale as well. http://salesbysteiner.com/5110-timberland-trail-estate-sale/

mike holden
08-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Of course the first response is: what type of carving are you interested in? Seriously, that will change the tools needed.
So, if you are interested in carving 18th century furniture, b&c legs, acanthus leaves, etc.; then you need a v-tool and several gouges from almost flat to quite curved.
If you are interested in chip carving, then a chip carving knife is all you need to start.
If you are interested in whittling, then good jackknife is what you need.
If you are interested in decoys, then ....

It is hard to make any recommendation till you can say what you want to try.

Mike

Matt Ranum
08-27-2013, 4:02 PM
Of course the first response is: what type of carving are you interested in? Seriously, that will change the tools needed.
So, if you are interested in carving 18th century furniture, b&c legs, acanthus leaves, etc.; then you need a v-tool and several gouges from almost flat to quite curved.
If you are interested in chip carving, then a chip carving knife is all you need to start.
If you are interested in whittling, then good jackknife is what you need.
If you are interested in decoys, then ....

It is hard to make any recommendation till you can say what you want to try.

Mike

DOH! I forgot to mention that. For starters I would like to try my hand at making some "claw & ball" table legs. Seems really advanced from a guy who's never done it but thats what I eventually want to learn to do. Does that help?

Mike Henderson
08-27-2013, 7:25 PM
I wouldn't start with a ball and claw foot. I'd start with some simpler projects. I have a bunch of tutorials on simple carving projects on my web site (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/Tutorials.htm). I also indicate which tools you need for each project.

Mike

Matt Ranum
08-27-2013, 7:50 PM
I wouldn't start with a ball and claw foot. I'd start with some simpler projects. I have a bunch of tutorials on simple carving projects on my web site (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/Tutorials.htm). I also indicate which tools you need for each project.

Mike

Yeah I wasn't going to start with that but thats what I would like to eventually do. I'll check out your site Mike. Thanks!

Bob Easton
09-12-2013, 5:42 PM
For "traditional" woodcarving, classic objects, furniture decoration and such, the carving tools you should look for are mostly curved gouges. Look for "sweeps" (curvature) from quite shallow (#3) to more extreme (#8), with widths from 1/4" to 3/4". You can do a lot, from the stuff that Mike Henderson recommends to the ball and claw and other complex objects.

Yet, like clamps, one can never have too many gouges.

roger seckler
10-10-2013, 7:57 PM
What type of carving are you interested in? when you figure that out buy tools that you would use for that type of carving.i have been carving since 1987,and alot of the tools I have I never use.I carve decoys,Birds,fish,Dragons,Animals,I have done some relief carving but very little.Just a thought,so what ever you decide to carve have fun.

Edward Mitton
10-11-2013, 10:09 AM
OMG !!!! A tool picker's paradise!! Wish I was in Wisconsin....