PDA

View Full Version : It's here!

Ron Kellison
08-26-2013, 4:21 PM
The wait is over... let the comparisons begin!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=70926&cat=51&ap=1

Ron

Chris Griggs
08-26-2013, 4:31 PM
Pretty impressive price point for a plane that large with that much machining. Cool.

That chisel plane looks pretty neat too. I don't even know how much or if I'd use a chisel plane, but I bet I could fine reasons to use that one..looks like a neat design.

Michael Peet
08-26-2013, 9:13 PM
Dang, I was hoping it was the LN plow plane.

Hilton Ralphs
08-27-2013, 5:32 AM
Have to say that the LN chisel plane is a lot prettier than the Veritas.

Who actually uses one of these?

Chris Griggs
08-27-2013, 6:28 AM
Have to say that the LN chisel plane is a lot prettier than the Veritas.

Who are you and what have you done with Hilton!??

I've have the occasional situation where I think one would be useful, but its not often enough that I've actively sought one out. Usually its where I need to flush something up where the surface I'm flushing to is in some weird enclosed space that I can't easily get good chisel registration. For example, I was working on a cabinet recently where I glued the base molding on so that the top edge sat just a hair proud of the bottom/lowest shelf. I was able to flush most of it by referencing a block plane on the lowest shelf and pulling in it towards me and the using the a chisel to flush the areas near the cabinet sides where the block couldn't reach. BUT in that particular situation a chisel plane would have probably made things a little quicker, easier, and cleaner.

It's one of those tools that from time to time I think it would be nice to have when working into corners, but the reality I've never been certain how much I would actually use one. I'd certainly be curious to know how valuable folks who have the LN find it to be.

Hilton Ralphs
08-27-2013, 6:41 AM
Who are you and what have you done with Hilton!??
Ja boet. I have more PMs from Mods than from members :-(

I'd certainly be curious to know how valuable folks who have the LN find it to be.

this morning on the bog I was reading my book called Hand Planes written by Chris L.N. Schwarz. He has a chapter on the Chisel Plane and I think it's the Lie-Nielsen version but he seems to use it for removing glue more than anything else. Seems to be waste of a beautiful plane. I'd rather attach an old bench plane blade to a wooden block with magnets to achieve the same result. Similar to the Veritas Flush Plane ($39).

David Weaver
08-27-2013, 7:11 AM

Based on your last post, I'd say writers and gentleman woodworkers who bought one and are just dying to find a way to use it. :) If they were necessary, there would be gobs of old ones around from when people had to make money working with hand tools.

Chris Griggs
08-27-2013, 7:35 AM
Ja boet. I have more PMs from Mods than from members :-(

this morning on the bog I was reading my book called Hand Planes written by Chris L.N. Schwarz. He has a chapter on the Chisel Plane and I think it's the Lie-Nielsen version but he seems to use it for removing glue more than anything else. Seems to be waste of a beautiful plane. I'd rather attach an old bench plane blade to a wooden block with magnets to achieve the same result. Similar to the Veritas Flush Plane ($39).

You make me laugh Hilton. Hey don't worry about the PMs. I'll PM next time I have anything interesting to share just to put some member emails in your box. Yeah, I always liked the idea of the flush plane. For the kinds of things I imagine chisel planes get used for it seemed fitting to make something simple and inexpensive.

I have to believe there is a market for the fancier planes though if LN, LV, and woodriver are all making one. I wonder if they are more popular among the power tool crowd, and folks who are doing a lot with dowels and plywood edging.

Lloyd Robins
08-27-2013, 8:18 AM
Lie-Nielsen has a video where Deneb shows several uses for the chisel or trim plane, but they mostly can be all done by by other common tools. 1) Glue lines (home made plane, or cranked neck chisel), 2) Plugs (flush cutting saw), 3) Inlays and repairs (I believe, as I have yet to learn how to do inlays, so I zoned out), and 4) cutting trim pieces flush, which could be useful, but labor intensive. A router with a flush cut bit would do the same. On #4 I guess that how committed to hand work a person is might be a deciding factor. A thread some time ago commented that this type of plane was of limited usefulness. I would think that for inlays or repairs it would be very useful as per Mr. Schwarz and others. Are there other reasons to own one that we are missing? My home made one ($4) total is really ugly, but good on glue lines. If there is a good reason, adding another plane is never really far from any of our hearts. (On the Lee Valley site they add triming adjacent surfaces.)

As to the shooting plane, as a lefty, I would really like to thank Lee Valley for thinking of us, but my LN 62 does well enough at that task. I guess that I will have to see what is upcoming. If Mr. Lee keeps this up, he will have to change his company name from Lee Valley to Canada as he will have enough money to buy not just a valley, but a very good part of the whole country. :D Please keep up the good work.

Jim Koepke
08-27-2013, 12:05 PM
If they were necessary, there would be gobs of old ones around from when people had to make money working with hand tools.

Actually there are gobs of them around in one sense.

Many old shoulder planes double as a chisel plane if the front is removed.

This image was made for a different thread, but it shows the idea.

I have not found a need that can only be solved by a chisel plane. In the few times my planes were used in this way they did not seem to be much help.

jtk

Chris Griggs
08-27-2013, 2:26 PM
The videos for both are now up. Always kinda a fun/helpful to see new tools being demoed on video.

Shooting Plane (http://www.leevalley.com/us/Home/VideoPopup.aspx?v=111)

Trimming Plane (http://www.leevalley.com/us/Home/VideoPopup.aspx?v=110)

Chris Hachet
08-27-2013, 2:49 PM
Pretty impressive price point for a plane that large with that much machining. Cool.

That chisel plane looks pretty neat too. I don't even know how much or if I'd use a chisel plane, but I bet I could fine reasons to use that one..looks like a neat design.Was thinking the same thing.