PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the trigger!!

Earl Rumans
08-26-2013, 3:53 PM
I talked to Shane, at Baileigh Industrial, today and ended up ordering the JP-1250 jointer/planer. Shane answered all my questions and was great to deal with. I have always been interested in woodworking but never had the time. Now that I am retired, I will have time to enjoy learning to work with wood. I am currently setting up one bay of my garage for a workshop. I may be a total newbe but, at 68, one thing I have learned in my life is that you can't accomplish much without good tools. I think the Baileigh will be a very good choice for my limited work area.

I am not associated with Baileigh in any way but I think they are putting out some very nice tools at attractive prices. They are currently having a 15% off sale so I couldn't resist. I really like their 14" BS but I am tapped out, so it will have to wait. Along with the JP-1250, I have an Delta drill press, Jet Exacta TS and DC, Triton router and the Incra system going in my new shop. As an absolute new woodworker I will be posting some progress reports on my learning process with the Baleigh and woodworking in general, hopefully they may help other newbs at this hobby.

Earl

richard poitras
08-26-2013, 5:09 PM
Earl, Welcome to the Creek...

John TenEyck
08-26-2013, 7:35 PM
Congrats. You already have more tools than I did when I started out. I built quite a bit of stuff with not much more than a TS, router, and some hand tools. When your J/P arrives you should be able to build most anything you put your mind to, and you'll be able to buy rough lumber which will open up a whole new range of possibilities to you and save you money, at least on a BF basis.

John

Don Morris
08-26-2013, 8:44 PM
No pics, didn't happen

Troy Turner
08-26-2013, 9:25 PM
Earl -

Welcome aboard. I wish I had a forum like this when I started out, then I wouldn't be replacing some of my tools with quality ones. I woulda bought them first...

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. I've heard alot of good things about Baileigh.

Good luck!!!

Keith Outten
08-26-2013, 9:27 PM
Earl,

Congratulations on your new Baileigh machine. I have two of their metal working machines and I am already shopping for number three.

Earl Rumans
08-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys. I have learned a lot from this forum already, which is why I am a contributor. I am really looking forward to some of the small projects I have in mind. I am planning to build a pair of small end tables for between the recliners in my H/T room but I think my first project is going to be a jewelry box for my oldest granddaughter. I think I can learn a lot from that project.

Congrats. You already have more tools than I did when I started out. I built quite a bit of stuff with not much more than a TS, router, and some hand tools. When your J/P arrives you should be able to build most anything you put your mind to, and you'll be able to buy rough lumber which will open up a whole new range of possibilities to you and save you money, at least on a BF basis.

John
Yes I started checking around the area and finding anything but rough cut lumber was very difficult and expensive. I also knew the surfaced wood would change after I brought it home and let it sit in my garage, so buying surfaced boards doesn't make sense to me. That's why I went ahead and got the JP-1250. I knew I would need it for anything but plywood projects.

Earl

Jay Runde
08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
No pics, didn't happen

How can he have pics of it if he ordered it today?!?

Harold Burrell
08-27-2013, 10:02 AM
How can he have pics of it if he ordered it today?!?

That's no excuse.

Alan Lightstone
08-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Learned my lesson early. Buy once, cry once. Unfortunately, eventually that means you buy the green Kool-Aid and buy Festools, but I digress.

Welcome aboard. I much prefer jointing/planing rough boards myself. I thinkmthe finished boards come out better.

Earl Rumans
08-30-2013, 9:33 PM
No pics, didn't happen
I don't have the Baileigh yet but here are a couple pics of my new JET Deluxe Xacta SAW 5HP, 1Ph, 30" RIP 708676PK that arrived today.

269707 269708

I got it off the pallet but I am tied up tomorrow, so I will have to wait until Sunday to finish setting it up.

Earl

Rick Fisher
08-30-2013, 9:44 PM
Congrats on the new machine Earl .. looks like a nice unit.

Welcome to the creek too ..

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/Bailey_zps96cab1f3.png (http://s335.photobucket.com/user/jokerbird_photo/media/Bailey_zps96cab1f3.png.html)
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/Bailey2_zps07327044.png (http://s335.photobucket.com/user/jokerbird_photo/media/Bailey2_zps07327044.png.html)

This is the unit.. 3hp .. 220V .. Helical cutterhead.. Looks like a nice machine. not sure about the fence.. Sure it works out..

Rick Potter
08-31-2013, 2:20 PM
Please let us know how you like it. A review would be nice. I have been thinking about one for months.

Rick Potter

Earl Rumans
08-31-2013, 2:36 PM
I'll post updates when it arrives and a review after I have some time to play with it. Just remember I am a newb, so I don't have any experiences to compare the Baileigh with but I will give my honest thoughts on it.

Earl

Aleks Hunter
08-31-2013, 2:45 PM
Hi Earl.

Welcome to a great hobby.

That last sentence raised a few red flags. Since you're a self identified absolute beginner, Please take the time to read all of the manuals that come with all of that gear. Every one of the machines you describe is perfectly capable of doing some serious gross bodily harm, and ruin perfectly good wood. If possible in your area, take some classes and start with modest simple projects using cheaper wood.

Earl Rumans
08-31-2013, 4:57 PM
Thanks for the advice, I plan to start small and learn as I go. I am almost 68, so I decided to get my last equipment first. lol I know how dangerous this stuff can be and plan on taking every precaution. I have been using an old Delta table saw for many years, just not building tables and such. I knew I would eventually need all this equipment, to do the things I want to do, so I just decided to get good stuff to start with. I have learned, in my life that, you can't accomplish much without the proper tools.

Earl

Paul Wunder
08-31-2013, 6:45 PM
Earl,

Welcome. There are a lot of newbies here, including myself. These guys are great. Just ask and you'll get lots of good advice. Pretty soon you will venture your own opinions on things.

Earl Rumans
09-21-2013, 12:11 AM
Wanted to post an update as I promised Shane I would do some pics and such. I received my JP-1250 and I was happy with the way it arrived. The packaging was first rate, completely enclosed in a wooden crate. The machine arrives mostly put together. The fence and other parts are stacked on top of the tables and everything is wrapped in plastic. There were a few small blemishes in the paint, from parts rubbing together during shipping but nothing worth worrying about. Assembly was very easy and the manual is not bad.

I have had a chance to run a few pieces through and it does a great job. The dust collection leaves a lot to be desired in the jointer mode. Chips accumulate on the lower planner table in a fairly good amount. In the planner mode, dust collection is excellent though.

Unfortunately, while doing something I should have known better than try, I injured the rotator cuff in my left shoulder. I haven't been able to do much of anything since. I hope I just strained it and didn't tear it. I will wait and see if it gets better, if it doesn't I'll have to go to the Doc and pay for an MRI. I want to move the 1250 out in the floor and get some good pics for everybody but that and a real review, will have to wait until my arm gets better.

Charles Musgrave
09-21-2013, 6:17 PM
Congratulations Earl! I am looking at that exact same machine. I don't have a lot of space and the JP-1250 at $1780 and a spiral cutting head look to be a great deal. I have been communicating with Aaron at Baileigh and the biggest problem I have is it is going to cost over $500 for freight to the Denver, CO area. Grizzly sells an equivalent machine and will ship for $150 so I'm hesitant to pay an extra $350 more for freight and so am trying to figure out alternatives.

Good luck getting set up! I hope your freight was not as bad as what I am finding.

best,
Charles

Charles Musgrave
09-21-2013, 6:20 PM
Opps - I didn't see the last part of your post. Good luck on healing up. I had a Ti plate put in to fix my broken clavicle 3 weeks ago so I understand what its like to not be able to do much with your equipment.

best,
Charles

Earl Rumans
09-23-2013, 1:04 AM
I got my son to pull the 1250 out where I could take some pics for those interested.

Here is the Baileigh JP-1250 in the Jointer mode.

Here it is, along with the nice Banner Shane sent me, in the Planner mode. I haven't decided where I am going to put the banner yet, so I just taped it up for the pic.

Here are some shots of the way the fence attaches and with it detached.

Here is a shot of the cutter head.

Last shot. This is the planner end with the scale for setting depth of cut and the engagement lever.

I am happy with the purchase so far but I haven't really had time to run much through it. The machine seems to be good quality and arrived with the tables co-planner. What I have run through, in both jointer and planner mode, it has done a great job on. The fence isn't the greatest but it does go back to 90 when you re-install it after planning. This was one of my worries, as I didn't want to have to mess with the fence every time I changed over. I am not that happy with the dust collection in jointer mode. There are actually 2 collector hoods. One is used in the jointer mode and the other one flips over and covers the cutter head in planner mode. The one in jointer mode lets chips drop down onto the planner table. I vacuumed up these chips first, when I would change over. Not a big deal but still not the best setup. The hood in planner mode works well though.

The machine is very quiet running and the cutter head hardly makes any noise. This is a real plus for me, as I wont have to worry about the noise in my neighborhood. I hope these pics help anyone thinking about getting one of these. I would say it would be hard to beat this machine at the current sale price. I was torn between the Baileigh and the Grizzly Go634Z but the Baileigh is $500 cheaper. They look very similar but I like the European guard better than the pork chop on the Grizzly and I think the end mount fence should be easier to changeover. I will try and give a real review after I have worked with it for a while.

Earl

Michael Dunn
09-23-2013, 8:12 AM
I like the dust collection shroud around cutter head. That looks to be very effective. Let us know how that works out too. Welcome to the forum. You chose a great, expensive hobby.