PDA

View Full Version : Further down the slippery slope.....

Edward Mitton
08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi, All,
Thought I would post an update about the progress of my journey into the Neander world... This weekend was very productive.

First off - a new tool purchase - a very old but little used buck saw that I found at a local antique mall. Asking price was $30, but I negotiated down to $23. A definite user. In fact this is the instrument I will be using to cut logs down to size for my wife to turn on the lathe. ( I am very fortunate to have a wife that has an interest in turning and scrollsawing. We can spend quality time together in the shop!).

Her comment when as I was packing this purchase in the back of the car: "You're really serious about this hand tool thing, aren't you?"

"EEEEEyup."

The tailed circular saw has now been the next tool relegated to a storage box in the basement!

Also finished converting an old saw horse I built many years ago into a very usable saw bench. The original alreay had a 7" wide top and splayed legs, so all I really had to do was cut it down to a 20" height and add stretchers and a tool shelf just for fun.

Another completed project this weekend was in making modifications for a tailed machine: my wife's lathe. It is an older model that uses big 1" bolts and nuts to secure the tool rest and tail stock to the rails. Any time she wanted to re-position these devices, she had to grab a huge combo wrench, and try to keep it on the nut while attempting to move the thing into position. Quite a task for a little 105 pound lady!

So, I broke out my metalworking tools and neanderthal wood working tools and made her a series of handles and knobs that now make the lathe a joy to use!

Jim Koepke
08-26-2013, 1:07 PM
Sounds like fun.

Where're the pictures?

We all love pictures with our morning coffee.

One thought on the lathe adjustments might be an old starter wrench, if that is what they are called. Used to be in the olden days these would be used for the hard to reach bolts on a car starter. They were curved to go around the starter motor.

But it sounds like you may have come up with a better solution.

jtk

don wilwol
08-27-2013, 8:21 AM
yep, we're gonna need pictures.

Hilton Ralphs
08-27-2013, 8:45 AM

What I'm saying.

Edward Mitton
08-27-2013, 10:07 AM
OK, pix are on the way....

Edward Mitton
08-28-2013, 1:39 PM
OK, Here's the buck saw. I've already used it on a couple of logs and it is sweet!269529