PDA

View Full Version : Window trim question: Paint or finish off with aluminum ?

Clarence Martin
08-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Went around the house this Morning and checked out the windows and sills. The caulking needs to be redone on many of them (24 windows total , maybe 14 need recaulking.) The thing is and I didn't notice it because the trim was painted over, but on the lower windows, they put the trim on all exterior exposed parts of the windows, so they only need to be recaulked. But, on the 2nd floor windows, they left part of the trim off the windows that they covered on the 1st floor. They ended up just painting over the wood. :mad: Should have taken a better look, but it's been a few years since they did the job, and didn't notice that little mistake.

Question: Got two ways to go about this. Could get someone to put the trim pieces in on each window that needs it Not sure what that would cost???? Or, I could just scrape off the old caulk and paint, and recaulk and repaint the bare wood myself.

What would you do ? The wood that is exposed is about 1 inch or so wide and wraps around the windows. Not sure how much paint I will need , but a quart or 2 of paint should do it. I think the part of the window that I am talking about is called the side block or the side jam.

Suggestions??

Thanks,