PDA

View Full Version : So, you think it's sharp???

John Miliunas
05-27-2005, 8:18 PM
Although I'm a newbie Neander, I found out early on that the best and safest chisels, planes, spokeshaves, etc..., out there are the sharp ones. While the proof may indeed be in the final cutting action, it's nice to know what your cutting edge actually looks like. My buddy, Gene Collison, who also happens to be one of my "long distance mentors" taught me early on about the importance of closely examining the edge I'm sharpening. To this end, he recommended to get an eye loupe. I picked up a cheapie set, which took me to 10x magnification. Yup, helped me to better see what was actually going on, but a bit cumbersome. I'd always end up trying to find the right angle of the light to catch the edge and yet still not have it be buried in my head's shadow. Now, while I realize some of the sharpening zealots out there have gone to the extreme of incorporating something like the Intel microscope to examine edges, I wanted something a bit better than what I had without having to go clear across the shop to my computer to use something like that. :rolleyes:

As it happens (and I apologize if this is old news to many), I stumbled across a lighted magnifier in the LV catalog. It's a real loupe, going down to 15x magnification, with a powerful little battery-operated light in the head. If you're interested in seeing what your cutting edge looks like and really seeing the scratch pattern on either, the back or the bevel side, this is the hot tip! This little unit is Handy, with a capital "H"!:) Unbelievable what the additional 5x magnification over my old loupe can do. Suffice it to say that I'll be going over all of my plane irons and chisels again!!!:rolleyes: I'd have to believe this is about the best $20.00 accessory expense I've made in a long, long time! It comes with its own little vinyl case and even the required 3 AAA batteries (Alkalines, no less!). The only negative comment I have about it is, the "On/Off" switch slides to the "On" position going up toward the head. No biggie, but as you're replacing the unit back in its case, you need to be careful that the friction against the case doesn't engage it. Otherwise, a BIG "thumbs up"! Great product!!!:) (The usual disclaimer...NOT affiliated with LV, blaaaa, bla-bla, blaaaa...):cool:

Jay Knepper
05-27-2005, 9:15 PM
Thanks, John! I'd been thinking about getting a loupe for some time now (for the same purpose), and you've found what looks like an ideal one.

Brent Smith
05-27-2005, 10:20 PM
John,

Just received mine in the mail yesterday.This is definately the tool that all of us GETTING THERE woodworkers need. I took it out of the box,put the batteries in and looked at a kitchen knife............................Man was I amazed!!!!!!!!!!

For you young guys(and gals) out there,..............you may not need this,but for any of us that remember "One small step for man" get it,you will not regret it.

Brent

John Miliunas
05-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Aw heck, Brent, even the youngsters could benefit from this little unit. I don't recall *any* of my kids having "close-up" eyeballs!:) I took a look at the crystal on my, what I thought was nice, watch crystal. Holy smokes! Only like a buzzillion scratches in it!:eek: :cool:

Brent Smith
05-27-2005, 10:37 PM
I hear you John, I looked at the palm of my hand.......................talk about dry skin.

This is a great tool for woodworking.Ever look at your rule and say to yourself is that right on or just a hair to the left??

Brent

John Hart
05-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey John,

I use a geological field microscope to check my stuff. Same basic premise as yours...I just happened to have one because I'm a rock nut. Yours seems a tad more convenient though.

A little off topic...what made you switch to the neanderthal side? Is it theraputic? I have the same aches...just wondering.

Jules Dominguez
05-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the tip, John, I've just about gotten to the point of carrying a magnifying glass and flashlight in my pocket all the time. I'll try the loupe.

John Miliunas
05-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Hey John,

I use a geological field microscope to check my stuff. Same basic premise as yours...I just happened to have one because I'm a rock nut. Yours seems a tad more convenient though.

A little off topic...what made you switch to the neanderthal side? Is it theraputic? I have the same aches...just wondering.

Therapeutic from the gray matter end! Certainly not from the physical end, as my hands are still sore as all get-out. However, I find that when I'm planing a nice board, I seem to work through the pain a whole lot easier. Just concentrating more on what I'm doing and taking in the new-found glow of the wood has a wonderful effect on your psyche!:) Even the sharpening process is rewarding, especially with the first "swooooosh" down a board with that freshly honed blade! Wonderful!!!:) :cool: