PDA

View Full Version : NE Oak Bowl

Thom Sturgill
08-26-2013, 8:47 AM
A while back a large old oak across the road from my brother's house came down. The entire inside was rotted out, with only about a 4" shell around the base. He gave me a piece to see what I could do with it. I am going up to NC this week and taking the bowl to him and just got a new photo tent and backdrop so I took some pictures.

The bowl is 3 1/2" tall and 7 1/4" wide. Finish is just Mahoneys Walnut oil.

C&C welcome as always.

Clif Moore
08-27-2013, 8:11 AM
I have a section of what I think was a chinquapin oak with a rotted core. This gives me some ideas. Excellent job. I like the foot on the bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
08-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Really nice Thom. Not a foot guy but this one looks good.

alex grams
08-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Very nice. How did you dry the oak? I've been experimenting several ways with some oak I have, but it is a warp and crack prone wood. The best method I've come up with is to turn to about 20%, soak in DNA for a day, then anchorseal the end grain, then wrap in a bag with a bunch of sawdust shavings, then come back in about 2-3 months before I open it. The cracking will be minimal it seems, but the warping is still pretty impressive.

John Oliver35
08-27-2013, 10:50 PM
Beautiful piece! I love the oak and hope to make something like this once my skills are up to it. I am terrible at having the patience to let the wood come to the tool, so that piece would be in 'pieces' for me!

Thom Sturgill
08-28-2013, 8:07 AM
Thanks guys, I go both ways on footed bowls, but I thought this one needed the 'lift'. Alex, this was already dry, so no problemss. On other oak I have turned, I turn it thin and let it move. I store it in a drawer with no air movement, maybe some shavings, maybe not, and do not remove it to finish until it really feels dry. Nothing scientific like weighing it though that would be better. No cracks, but interecting movement on the few other bowls (+ one vase) that I have turned with oak. I have some green oak waiting for me to get back from this trip, including a crotch, so that will be an experience.