PDA

View Full Version : A couple jigs needed

John Terefenko
08-25-2013, 4:17 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum but will post here. I am looking for other woodworker's ideas and photos of jigs for 2 operations done on a tablesaw. I would like to be able to cut precise thin strips such as 1/8" and 1/16" thick. Need to be able to be repeatable and accurate.

Also looking to be able to cut thin staves also. Not sure if one jig would be able to do both. But photos are definetly needed and maybe an explanation or two.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-25-2013, 4:37 PM
John,

A free download at Woodsmithshop.com Episode 209.....Table saw secrets.....Rip It Right..... is a jig used for repeatedly ripping thin stock with no setup after the first one is cut. It works well. I am building some boxes from walnut with maple 1/8" maples splines at the corners. I used this jig again yesterday. Cut 3 before I got the width properly set and then cut 3 more of proper thickness in less than a minute. It requires a couple threaded knobs and a bearing. I built the rest out of scrap 3/4" plywood. It works well.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/209/tablesawrippingjig.pdf

John M Wilson
08-25-2013, 7:13 PM
Just noticed that Rocker has theirs on sale for now...

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18056&site=ROCKLER

Bill Huber
08-25-2013, 7:52 PM
If you like making your own jig that is fine but I really like the one from Rockler that John linked to.

Just today I used mine and cut 16 strips that were 1/8"x10" and they came out just fine.

Robert Chapman
08-25-2013, 8:58 PM
I also use and like the Rockler jig. It's simple and accurate after a few cuts to get the right width.

Bill Huber
08-25-2013, 9:46 PM
I also use and like the Rockler jig. It's simple and accurate after a few cuts to get the right width.

I can hit it right on most all the time with the Rockler.

I move the jig next to the widest tooth on the blade and then move the bearing in to the measurement I need, lock the slide. Now just slide the jig back and lock it down.

The thing to remember is that you can lock the slide down without locking it in the miter slot, that took be a little bit to get though my head.

david brum
08-25-2013, 11:40 PM
+1 on the Rockler jig. I don't have many prefab jigs in my shop, but this one would be difficult to make for what they go for on sale. I think I paid $15 for mine a few years ago. I use it frequently to rip hardwood edge banding for plywood, among other things. It works beautifully, even though the bearing could be bigger.

John Terefenko
08-26-2013, 7:01 AM
I like the idea with the bearing. I made one years ago but it did not have a bearing. May give this a try. Thanks.

Gary Muto
08-28-2013, 11:28 AM
I have the rockler jig and used it most recently to rip molded edges off of a board to creat custom molding. Consistent thickness (from ripping) is important for the miters to look good. i got excellent results.

Rocker has free shipping too... I just got the catalog Monday and noticed it but I don't have the code with me. For $20 and free shipping, it would be hard to make one for less money.

Shoot me a PM if you want the code or you could probably just call Rockler. I've done that in the past too.