PDA

View Full Version : Help: Sources for 3.2mm (1/8") Cherrywood laminate

Tony saunders
08-25-2013, 1:47 PM
Hi,

Hoping someone may be able to help?

I have been buying the shiny 3.2mm Cherrywood laminate from Trotec (Suregrave) recently, but they can only supply it in sheets of 600mm x 300mm (2ft x 1ft)
It's very nice as I'm sure you all know - they do it in Cherrywood, Birch, Alderwood and Cedarwood (link here (http://www.suregrave.com/woodsheets.html)) . Problem is I would like to use sheets larger than this size. Trotec have told me that they don't do it in anything larger and gave the impression that they obviously source it externally but didn't or wouldn't elaborate where.

Does anyone know where I can get this material from? ideally, who manufactures it?

I really need a sheet around 900-1000mm x 600mm (3ft+ approx by 2ft) or larger

I am in the UK so ideally a UK or European supplier.

Many thanks in advance.
Regards
Tony

Dave Sheldrake
08-25-2013, 4:19 PM
Lathams or Jennor timber

cheers

Dave

Tony saunders
08-25-2013, 5:19 PM
Lathams or Jennor timber

cheers

Dave
Thanks Dave,
Have you ever bought any from these guys if so, do you know the product name? ... (I've just been looking at Lathams catalogue online - jeeesh!!! didn't realise there was so much choice!)

Keith Outten
08-25-2013, 7:37 PM
Tony,

Check our Friends of The Creek Directory, we have a couple Members here who may be able to help.

Tony saunders
08-25-2013, 7:50 PM
Will do Keith - thanks...

AL Ursich
08-25-2013, 9:29 PM
They are on My side of the pond but may have what you need....

http://www.cardsofwood.com/

AL

Tony saunders
09-19-2013, 8:55 AM
They are on My side of the pond but may have what you need....

http://www.cardsofwood.com/

AL
Thanks Al for that - I may be forced to a US supplier - so far no luck in the UK although I have sent samples to Steve Williams at Lathams

Mark Ward
04-06-2014, 4:58 PM
Hi Tony, did you ever manage to find another supplier for this in the UK?

Jeff Belany
04-07-2014, 10:58 AM
How about the new Rowmark Hardwood Collection? Sure looks nice.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Tony saunders
04-07-2014, 6:52 PM
Hi Tony, did you ever manage to find another supplier for this in the UK?

Hi Mark,

No... never did. So I am having my own made and may start supplying it myself. I understand that suregrave don't like to tell me who their supplier is, but what annoys me is that they won't ask their supplier if they could supply a different (slightly bigger) sized sheet on my behalf. I have asked many times and got nowhere. Shame, cos the guys n gals there are good and offer good service.

...so, I shall bypass them and have the stuff made myself.
T

Tony saunders
04-07-2014, 6:58 PM
How about the new Rowmark Hardwood Collection? Sure looks nice.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

It is nice. 5mm in either walnut, cherry or what I think is birch or beech maybe (will have to look on the invoice). It arrived last week after a sales call and I thought I'd see what it was like. Length is about 450mm IIRC but is only 120mm wide (which to be fair is about standard if you buy materials from modelling places). Difficult to get wider sheets without warping I suppose.

not tried cutting it yet, but don't think it will be much trouble.

T

Matt McCoy
04-07-2014, 7:44 PM
Hey Tony,

Is it all 5-ply veneer or is there a pine or poplar core?

Thanks.

Tony saunders
04-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Hey Tony,

Is it all 5-ply veneer or is there a pine or poplar core?

Thanks.
I'm assuming you're talking about the original stuff we have here - not this new stuff - which I believe is just planed from solid?

The 1/8" stuff is veneer on an MDF core over here. It does mean it's relatively stable and has a consistency when cutting - but MDF sure messes up the table and vents.

I'd estimate the veneer is about 0.6 mm thick so it's probably about 2mm MDF in the core or thereabouts...

Sheet size is 2ft x 1ft (600mm x 300mm)

T

Matt McCoy
04-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I looked at the PDF which I believe mentioned (5) 90° alternating veneer layers. I would prefer that to a core product for cutting.

Tony saunders
04-08-2014, 2:46 PM
I looked at the PDF which I believe mentioned (5) 90° alternating veneer layers. I would prefer that to a core product for cutting.

Interesting!... maybe the stuff you guys have over there is different to ours??

Just examined a piece here - under a magnifying glass, the edge shows the veneer on both sides and what looks like a continuous core. When you snap it, it delaminates into the paperyness of mdf.

T

Matt McCoy
04-08-2014, 4:29 PM
Here's the link:

https://www.rowmark.com/HardwoodCollection/hardwood.asp

Tony saunders
04-08-2014, 7:21 PM
That's not the material we have here (or at least what I was referring to). Looks interesting indeed - especially as it comes in sheet sizes larger than 2" x 1"... I will see if we can get it in the UK

We have this... http://www.suregrave.com/woodsheets.html

... which I suspect that you guys have over there anyway.

Mark Ward
04-16-2014, 5:46 AM
Hi Mark,

No... never did. So I am having my own made and may start supplying it myself. I understand that suregrave don't like to tell me who their supplier is, but what annoys me is that they won't ask their supplier if they could supply a different (slightly bigger) sized sheet on my behalf. I have asked many times and got nowhere. Shame, cos the guys n gals there are good and offer good service.

...so, I shall bypass them and have the stuff made myself.
T
Hi Tony, give me a shout when you look to start supplying it. We might be interested in it if the price is better than Suregrave :)