PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Lumber/Sawyers Along I-90 or I-80

Stan Figura
08-25-2013, 12:12 PM
I am driving solo from Boston to Chicago this week in an empty minivan. Since I will not be accompanied by someone inclined to ask why I need to buy more lumber, this presents an opportunity to stop along the way and, yes, buy more lumber. Are there any lumber dealers or sawyers close enough to I-90 in MA, NY, or PA that would make for a worthwhile stop? If there are more options along I-80, I could go that way too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dave Zellers
08-25-2013, 12:29 PM
You're going to need a bigger van. If you like cherry, you'll like Pa. But you'll need to decide what "close enough" means.

Here's one- http://www.irionlumber.com/

Randy Reitz
08-25-2013, 4:52 PM
There quite a few lumber yards along I-80 in Western Pennsylvania, but most would rather sell you a container or two. At the other end of the spectrum are the Amish and several one or two man operations who are hard to find and contact.

There are two places I would recommend if you travel along I-80. The Hardwood Mall at Emlenton Exit 42 is the retail outlet for Seneca Hardwoods. Visible from the interstate and great selection. Closer to retail price, but good people to work with. Usually some specials, and they can get just about anything if you call ahead. A good website if you need more information.

The other is Wind River Woodworks off Brookville Exit 81. Only 2 miles from the exit, but kind of hard to find, so call ahead. Family run and lots of cherry and maple. They also have a website for more information, but are easier to contact by phone.