PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat!, or a tale of 2 saws...

Bill Lewis
05-27-2005, 6:03 PM
Ok, this really isn't a WW tool gloat, but a power tool gloat nonetheless.

Today I made an early morning trip up to Mt. Airy, MD to go to the Tractor Supply Store to get some hardware for a gate. Well they had sitting in the hardware aisle a 7x12 metal cutting bandsaw (horzontal/vertical). It had been dropped or kicked or something, because the sheet metal was banged up and dented pretty good (see pictures). As best as I could tell, it was all cosmetic. I checked it over real good to make sure it had all of its pieces and parts, and to see if there was anything essential cracked or broken, but nothing. So I bought it for 50% off ($375). I had to go home (20 miles or so) to get the truck, so I had them ring it up, and put a sold sign on it.
Awhile back I bought the 4 1/2" metal cutoff saw from HF. I bought it because it was inexpensive (<$200) and thought I really wanted the larger model, I just couldn't bring myself to pay out 3 times as much. As with some HF chinese knockoffs, it didn't work all that well out of the box. It needed a good bit of tweaking to get it right. I made some new pulley guide plates, and remachined the pully carriage. I also milled the bosses the guide plates bolt to to make them parallel. It works pretty good now. Blades stay on, and it cuts straight :) . But now what am I going to do with two saws!?

Bill Lewis
05-27-2005, 6:12 PM
I unloaded it from the truck and put it in the shop. Checked it over again, It runs very smooth, the coolant pump runs too. I haven't cut anything with it yet, I want to bang out the dents first and change the blade to a better one I bought. Only the motor shroud really needs to be fixed. It hits the fan, but I removed one screw, and it clears it ok, so it should be an easy fix.

I'm including the pictures of moving the saw to the shop. Since the subject of moving equimpment came up recently, I thought I'd show you how I go about it.

Tim Marks
05-27-2005, 7:20 PM
nice saw...

But what I really want is your garden tractor. I am guessing John Deere 2210? Is this some sort of hidden gloat?

:eek:

Bill Lewis
05-27-2005, 7:53 PM
I am guessing John Deere 2210? Is this some sort of hidden gloat?:eek:

Yup a 2210. I guess you can consider that a "drive by" gloat. :D
The 2210 weren't cheap, but it sure is a workhorse. I also get year round use out of it. Worth every penny, and in another year it'll be all mine. I did get 3 year 0% financing too.

Ken Kimbrell
05-27-2005, 9:53 PM
Yup a 2210. I guess you can consider that a "drive by" gloat. :D
The 2210 weren't cheap, but it sure is a workhorse. I also get year round use out of it. Worth every penny, and in another year it'll be all mine. I did get 3 year 0% financing too.

I like your 'Drive By' part of this gloat Bill!
I just happen to have one</URL> of those little 2210's as well, you are so right about it being a workhorse. :D

Your saws are nice as well. ;)

http://www.mykimbrell.com/BigFoot%20Deere2.jpg

Joe Mioux
05-28-2005, 12:11 AM
I want (need) that saw in the bucket!;) Nice multi gloat!

Tim Marks
05-28-2005, 2:26 PM
so what made you choose the Deere 2210 over say a Kubota BX2200 or Cub Cadet 5234D?

Steve Stube
05-29-2005, 12:52 AM
You'll probably only need coolant on Ironwood ;-)

Bill Lewis
05-29-2005, 6:16 PM
Hey Ken, cool you have both the MMM (62C?) and the LX4 There are times I wish I had an LX4.

Tim,
It's kind of a long story about why I chose the 2210 over the BX22/2200. Other than the spec.'s being slightly better, and a better warranty, it basically boiled down to a much better dealer. At the time I was ready to buy, only the deere dealer made sure that they could get me a 2210 before the 0% financing ran out. The 'bota dealers were all wishy washy about when they'd have any stock. After visiting several of them, not a single one of them called me back. This was even after I told every one of them that I needed a tractor, and wanted to buy. The only info I got from them was "sure there be no problem getting you one". Yet every one that the dealers had, were already sold.
For example, I stopped in to one dealer fairly close to cloing time, I apologised for doing so, and told him I was interested in either the 2200 or the 22, and wanted pricing. He told me it would take too long to work it up (huh, too long!?). Of course, I said that was fine, and gave him my name and number and told me he could call me with the information. Of course, I never heard back from them.
I never considered the cub cadet, Most of the 'bota dealers were also cub dealers, and they never carry the sub compact cub tractors, only the lawnmowers.

Ken Kimbrell
05-29-2005, 7:08 PM
Hey Ken, cool you have both the MMM (62C?) and the LX4 There are times I wish I had an LX4.

Yep, the LX4 ‘bush hog’ works really well Bill.
62c= Yes

I’ve picked up a few other tools for it as well… 4’ box blade, 4’ rear grader blade and 9” post hole. Next on the wish list is a front loader like yours. :cool:

If you like, you can see a few more pix and “A Herd Of Deere” Here (http://www.mykimbrell.com/Toys.htm)

Bill Lewis
05-30-2005, 9:21 AM
Ken, you've gotta get a loader. I got it with the 53" bucket. It's definately my most used attachment other than the 62C.
I've also got a Frontier tiller RT1140 (42") which I will use later today or tomorrow for the garden.
A Ber-Vac 50" snowblower which stays on all winter.
A Speeco Post hole digger with 9" auger (from TSC), works well.
The next thing I'm buying is a tooth bar for the bucket.