PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's rust hunt

Matt Ranum
08-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Haven't been around much lately but thought I would show what followed me home yesterday. Found an estate sale yesterday a short distance from me. The owner was/is quite the craftsman and most everything he had was in like new condition. The tools were up for sale yesterday and next weekend is his wood carving tools & supplies and his wifes craft supplies. May just have to go back again. Wish I would have had more $$$ as everything was priced fair to sell and there was a lot there. Lots of wrenches and power tools, stationary and corded.

As it was I dropped $58 on what you see here.
The Stanley 18-1/4($5.00) is nice except for some nickel peeling on the cap. The Stanley 60-1/2($5.00) needs a new lever cap and a new pin for the front adjuster. The No.4 saw vice($6.00) doesn't have a nick on it. The Craftsman miter box($12.00) I happened to see under a table just as I was about ready to leave. Love my Stanley box but this one looks to be in nicer condition.

Gordon Eyre
08-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Nice haul.

Jim Koepke
08-25-2013, 12:13 PM
I wish there were estate sales like that around here when there was money in my pocket.

jtk

Matt Ranum
08-25-2013, 3:39 PM
I wish there were estate sales like that around here when there was money in my pocket.

jtk
I know exactly what you mean, this happened to be a rare occasion for me. :p What really surprised me was that the prices were reasonable and the sale was being run by an estate liquidation company. Normally it seems those seem to charge higher than average prices around here.

Jim Koepke
08-25-2013, 3:47 PM
I know exactly what you mean, this happened to be a rare occasion for me. :p What really surprised me was that the prices were reasonable and the sale was being run by an estate liquidation company. Normally it seems those seem to charge higher than average prices around here.

One of the estate liquidation companies around here is run by the owner of an antique shop. He seems to cherry pick the good stuff and then wants ebay collector quality prices for everything else.

jtk

Jim Matthews
08-25-2013, 4:32 PM
It would appear your miter box is the same as the Millers Falls 74.

They're excellent once you clean out the sawdust that gathers on the pivoting works underneath.
It will work best if you clamp your workpiece to the back fence with a block to hold everything down into the corner.

Get the saw properly sharpened and you'll get very clean miters.
You paid what I consider realistic prices for good quality tools.

It appears that the former user treated them well and put them to some tasks.
I can't stand seeing good tools in a display case - they belong on a bench.

Matt Ranum
08-25-2013, 7:16 PM
It would appear your miter box is the same as the Millers Falls 74.

They're excellent once you clean out the sawdust that gathers on the pivoting works underneath.
It will work best if you clamp your workpiece to the back fence with a block to hold everything down into the corner.

Get the saw properly sharpened and you'll get very clean miters.
You paid what I consider realistic prices for good quality tools.

It appears that the former user treated them well and put them to some tasks.
I can't stand seeing good tools in a display case - they belong on a bench.

I was curious when I first saw it at the sale how the saw was as he had a board milled and strapped to it to protect the teeth. While not razor sharp, I did try it out on some scrap 6/4 oak and it cut fast, clean and at a perfect 90*. There is very little saw dust build up I found on anything this gentleman had including under the mouth of the 60-1/2 plane. He treated his tools like they were his livelihood and I think they actually were at one time.