PDA

View Full Version : Stanley no. 4 - the Motherlode

Bill Sherman
08-24-2013, 9:29 PM
Hi,
I was looking for an anvil on craigslist and found a guy that had several for sale. When we got there he was around back in an out building. The anvils were right in the front of the shop and I ended up buying a 60 lb. Southern Cresent anvil built about 1920 in Chattanooga,TN. After that transaction I got to looking around his crowded dimly lit space and realized he had the largest collection of old hand planes I have ever seen. Most were Stanley but he had others,too. After much looking I bought this no. 4 for $25.00. I am new to hand planes and very new to old planes. I hope to be able to clean it up and make a user out of it. How did I do picking one out? I thought for $25.00 I couldn't go wrong.

Bill

Jim Koepke
08-24-2013, 9:50 PM
Your #4 was made approximately in the years 1946 - 1948.

I like older ones myself. That is just my preference.

Sharpen the blade and give it a spin. Take some pictures and post them.

jtk

Don Dorn
08-24-2013, 9:51 PM
I might consider a new iron as that one seems pretty rusty, but otherwise, it looks like it would be a great user. If you are considering a different blade, you don't have to spend much. Home Depot has Buck Brother 2" irons (which yours uses) for $3. I've purchased one for practicing grinding and found it to be a far better blade than I anticipated. I keep a couple handy for my 4 and 5.

Jacob Nothstine
08-24-2013, 9:58 PM
Great looking anvil a lot nicer then my chunk of rail road track. Rust should come right off the #4. I just pick up a LV extra fine wire wheel and it works great for removing rust. This MF#9 was done with just the wire wheel.
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=65204&cat=1,43415,43439&ap=1

Shawn Pixley
08-24-2013, 10:07 PM
I like the plane. As Jim said, clean it, sharpen it and give it a spin. I like the small anvil too. Look like a nice one for light work.

Jim Matthews
08-24-2013, 10:37 PM
I hope my wife never sees that first picture.

Bad enough that I have to sweep sawdust out of the basement.
This guy must not be able to tune local TV stations for all the metal in the way.

Yikes.

Bill Sherman
08-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll have to look at HD for a Buck Brothers blade. I worked on it a little tonight and it is cleanung up well. I would like to get the black paint off of the tote and nob. It looks like rosewood underneath.

Bill

Harold Burrell
08-25-2013, 6:06 AM
I'll have to look at HD for a Buck Brothers blade.

:eek::eek::eek:

What??? NO-O-O-O-O-O!!! What's wrong with the blade that is on it? There is no way the BB blade will be as good. Just clean it all up, polish about 1/4" or so on the back and sharpen it...you'll be good to go.

Jim Koepke
08-25-2013, 12:08 PM
There is no way the BB blade will be as good.

Including myself a few of us have ventured forth to the local HD and spent the $3 on the BB blades and have found them to be surprisingly good.

Here is the thread of folks thoughts:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?181726-Brothers-Buck-Meet-the-Frankenplane

jtk

Harold Burrell
08-26-2013, 8:21 PM
Including myself a few of us have ventured forth to the local HD and spent the $3 on the BB blades and have found them to be surprisingly good.

Here is the thread of folks thoughts:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?181726-Brothers-Buck-Meet-the-Frankenplane

jtk

hmmm...

well...for $3 (if that is still what they cost) you can't go too wrong, I suppose. Perhaps I will pick one up for myself. You know...just so I can be one of the guys. :D

Bill Sherman
08-30-2013, 8:27 PM
Before and after. This is not a restoration, just a cleaning up to get it in working order. I flatened the sole, knocked the rust off of everything,sharpened the blade and sanded th black paint off of the nob and tote. The original blade looks a little ruff but cuts well, no need for that expensive Buck Brothers blade after all ;) . Here it is smoothing a curly maple board ..... sweet! My first vintage plane rehab. I'm happy.

Bill

Jim Koepke
08-30-2013, 9:33 PM
Nice clean up. Shouldn't need another like that for the next 70 years.

jtk

Tony Shea
08-30-2013, 9:45 PM
Very nice. The blade looks fine from here. As long as there is no pitting near the cutting edge the honed part of the blade should polish up fine.

lowell holmes
09-01-2013, 7:29 AM
A LV iron and breaker will make that plane sing. No chatter and thin translucent shavings. It will perform like a new plane. I ordered one for an old #4 I am cleaning up. I tried it in my 604 Bedrock. It feels like a premium plane. The chip breaker eliminates chatter.