PDA

View Full Version : Saturday findings

Dave Beauchesne
08-24-2013, 6:47 PM
Well, not a screaming deal, the fellow kind of knew what he had, but I have not seen an original, no cracks / chips Stanley # 112 in the wild before ---- he had a real decent #4C from Canada 1940's, but he was adamant at sixty bucks with another attendee - sorry - too much$$.
The rest of the haul: about 16 spoon/nose/gimlet style tapered brace bits, a Lignum Vitae mallet that weighs a full 2-1/2 lbs. and no checks, a real nice two foot Henry Disston Keystone Works cherry level with intact vials, and a 1940ish MF #2 eggbeater c/w six like new bits ( cast iron frame, not the later cheap alloy frame) , in fact, the drill is as nice as I have seen without being redone.

I forked out $120.00 for the works; I don't have a 112 in my collection, and it is all original with a full length original Stanley blade, so I can still recoup what I paid, I feel.

I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, but I have a baaaaad addiction - rust hunting. My wonderful wife is OK with that, for that I am lucky.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!!

Dave Parkis
08-24-2013, 9:33 PM
Nice haul!! 112's are not found every day.

Jim Koepke
08-24-2013, 9:44 PM
That is a good find.

Was going to ask if it was $120 U.S. or Canadian but the dollar Canadian is likely worth more than the dollar U.S. today.

Oh, just looked it up... ~ $6 difference for that amount.

jtk

Dave Beauchesne
08-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Jim:

For all intents and purposes ( on small amounts ) we are just about par.

Here is a better picture of the 112 - it is pretty sweet, I have to say.

Happy rust hunting to you all!!

Steve Bates
08-24-2013, 11:20 PM
I noticed on the third picture, two bits that roughly appear like small round nose shovels. Are those called shell bits?

I not seen anything like those before.

Dave Beauchesne
08-25-2013, 9:34 AM
Steve: Good question - nor have I - maybe longer spoon bits that have been well ground down? they are about 3/4'' / 7/8'' - maybe someone else can chime in - - -

Dave Beauchesne
08-25-2013, 12:29 PM
There is a good article in the latest Popular Woodworking by Adam C. about old styles of drill bits.
I don't see anything like the wide spoons I have pictured though.

Steve Bates
08-25-2013, 4:37 PM
Yes, I've read that article. He talks about shell bits but I didn't notice him pointing them out in the pictures. I recognized spoon bits (I reckon) and he stated those usually are on the small diameter side for chair making.
Maybe someone with experience with those will chime in. Thanks for posting the pictures.