PDA

View Full Version : need advise on "Mother of All Wedding Benches"

Charlie Fox
08-24-2013, 1:04 PM
ok, daughter and wife asked me to make a wedding bench for my daughters wedding next month. the idea is to have a bench and people sign the bench as opposed to a guest book and they have all those names and memories on their front porch for eternity. so of course if i am going to make something i am going all out, and i have a stockpile of slabs so i let my creativity flow and this was the result. the problem is - its really too nice clutter up with signatures everywhere on such nice wood. so i need some ideas - what i have so far is:

sign only the legs below the seat line, or below the holes where the lag screws are. inside and out, i think that would be fine. we could have a template there to control the size they sign, by my calculations if we limit it to roughly a 4x2 in area, we can fit over 150. there are about 250 guests, and couples will sign as "john and Mary Smith".

or we could allow signing on the entire leg. or the back of the seat back as well for more space.

or, i could add something. i thought maybe about planing down some wood really thin, cutting it into sheets 8.5x11 in drill binding holes, and bind them with some leather lacing and hanging this like a guest book from one of the braces that the seat back is attached to. of course i would make the pages from a 2-ply laminate that is cross-grained for strength.

maybe i could make an ottoman type smaller bench from the same wood and they sign that?

any thoughts? ideas of another "accessory" like the wood book?

Bruce Volden
08-24-2013, 6:32 PM
Charlie,
I, too, agree about all the signatures "cluttering up" the natural look of this bench! BUT if the wife and dotter have spoken you had best listen! I'm thinking all those sharpie signatures will eventually fade out into the sunset over a short period of time, especially sitting out in the open (the UV WILL eventually prevail)!

Very nice bench--awkward dilemma.

Bruce

paul cottingham
08-24-2013, 6:58 PM
Get people to sign the bottom. Kind of awkward, but the signatures will last much better.

Phil Thien
08-24-2013, 8:50 PM
You missed the prime directive.

I think you have to let people sign it.

Christopher Collins
08-25-2013, 8:56 AM
Get a bunch of fine tipped paint markers, that should last a good long time with a coat of UV blocking finish.
http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/oil-based-paint-marker.aspx

And I concur with the folks above. We all feel your pain, but woe unto him who stands between a lady and her dream wedding. If the wife and daughter want people to sign it, you should probably bite your tongue and let them sign it, in a prominent place where it can be seen (otherwise what's the point?).

Maybe there should be a separate ceremony to give away the bench? With vows to "wax, dust, and polish, indoors or out, direct sunlight or shade, for as long as you both shall live".

Sam Murdoch
08-25-2013, 9:26 AM
Get a bunch of fine tipped paint markers, that should last a good long time with a coat of UV blocking finish.
http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Pages/oil-based-paint-marker.aspx

1st of all - REALLY LOVELY BENCH !- What a beautiful gift.

Not to argue with the women folk but I would encourage that all signing be restricted to the back of the back. Perhaps members of the wedding party, and the parents and siblings of the bride and groom could be allowed to sign on the face of the back. I don't think there is anything wrong with posting a sign that encourages everyone to sign but to do so discreetly or at the least with consideration to allowing room for all the guests to sign. Best do that before you start serving drinks :rolleyes:.

paul cottingham
08-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Perhaps run and engraver over all the signatures? That would make them las much longer. Or maybe use an engraver for signing?
daft perhaps, but it is a solution.

alex grams
08-26-2013, 9:35 AM
Something else to consider is maybe get some 1/8" wide masking tape, and tape off a grid, that way you tell people to sign in the center of a block. This would control size, shape, layout, and help it look uniform.

My concern is also with the ink fading over time. I was thinking the same as Paul, though I don't know if engraving is practical.

Also, look for UV resistant pens/markers. Nursery markers are designed for sunlight exposure without fading:
http://www.amleo.com/Leonard-Nursery-Marking-Pen/p/HNP8B/

Joe A Faulkner
08-26-2013, 9:56 PM
Along the lines of an accessory item - just pitching some ideas
1) Matching Child's size bench - don't let people sign the front side of the back rest - save that for adding the names and birth dates of the little Hedricks.
2) Matching End Table(s)
3) Coffee Table
4) Plaque that could be hung over the bench - it could have a similar profile to the back rest or the seat and be hung horizontally

Let us know what you decide. Great looking bench.

Mel Fulks
08-26-2013, 10:24 PM
The bride is your daughter and you want to accommodate her ,but that signing thing is apropriate only for the bottom.
And the signed bench is no substitute for an archival guest book. I would only go along with photograph of bride and groom seated on bench ,holding guest book,surrounded by guests. I dare say some guests would not be comfortable writing on furniture...and you don't plan something that will make guests feel awkward.

Kevin Post
08-27-2013, 10:08 AM
I have a couple of thoughts... 1) Like several others have suggested, I don't think the signatures on the bench will last. 2) Not everyone has the signature of a calligrapher. Some people (me) have hand-writing that simply should not be seen by other humans. Faded, illegible signatures will ruin the basic idea for this amazing bench.

May I suggest having each of the guests sit on the bench for a nice photo. When all is said and done, print a book to accompany the wedding bench containing all of the photos of guests sitting on it. If you've never seen these books, they're a very nice, bound, hard-cover book with high-quality printing. Shutterfly and others offer this service.

Plus, the photos will last longer and the scrapbook will provide 'better' memories than signatures (I think). You might even circulate the book afterward to have each person autograph it.

Tom Sontag
08-27-2013, 1:31 PM
I do not understand why you think you have any say on what happens after you turn this nice bench over to its owners. They get to decide where and with what people sign it. Do the gracious thing and just step back.

Kevin Post
08-27-2013, 2:41 PM
I do not understand why you think you have any say on what happens after you turn this nice bench over to its owners. They get to decide where and with what people sign it. Do the gracious thing and just step back.

I think Charlie is trying to make sure his daughter will be happy. He is concerned that if the signatures fade, this beautiful gift may become an eyesore rather than a keepsake.

I'm sure Mrs. Post would have appreciated a heads-up before the wedding regarding the effects UV and wear would have on me over time. If only she would have known back then... (sigh) Now she's stuck with an eyesore.

Jim Matthews
08-28-2013, 6:10 PM
I really need new glasses.

I read this as "Mother-in-law Welding bench".

Bob Griffith
09-02-2013, 9:59 AM
And you sure don't want the signatures to come off on somebody's good clothing!

Sam Murdoch
09-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Seems like the original poster, Charlie, has left the building :rolleyes:. Sure would have been interesting to get some feedback from him on the feedback from us.
Must be busy wedding planning. :)

Thomas L. Miller
09-02-2013, 9:00 PM
When my daughter married and a request was made of me by her and/or her mother, I took the role of any father-of-the-bride. I stood in a corner and and assumed the position of an ATM. I'm really glad I only have only ONE daughter. :D