PDA

View Full Version : would you buy this planer?

Jeff Bartley
08-24-2013, 8:14 AM
Hi Folks,
I'm looking at an older Jet JWP-15HO planer and the price seems fair but here's the catch: there's no 220 power where it's stored so I'd be buying it without seeing it run, without putting any wood through it.
Would you buy it? Thanks! Jeff

johnny means
08-24-2013, 8:28 AM
I but most of my machinery without ever actually seeing it. Does the price balance the risk?

Zach Callum
08-24-2013, 9:30 AM
I would only pay scrap value if you can't see it run.

Stephen Cherry
08-24-2013, 9:43 AM
If it's a pretty cheap price, I would consider it. Who is selling the machine? The owner will be able to tell if it ran when put into storage. I have also bought lots of machines without seeing them run.

My target price for this type of machine would be 300-500 dollars.

David Kumm
08-24-2013, 9:56 AM
If you get into buying used machines, it's not realistic to see everything run. you lose the good deals that way. You do get enough pictures of the wear areas to feel good. You also talk to the owner and either get a good or bad feeling. Then you assess the risk and decide. My target would be about the same depending on condition. Jet stuff was pretty good relative to everyone else at the time. Dave

Matt Day
08-24-2013, 10:00 AM
I'd most definitely consider it. I have the same planer, and it's made by the same factory in China that made powermatic, wilke, bridgewood, etc; and it's basically identical to those so parts are easily available.
These machines are stout and made to last a very long time.
If you can turn the rollers and it's not caked in rust I'd buy it at the right price. I think you should consider replacing the bearings and gearbox fluid regardless.
You should use the fact that you can't see it run to your advantage. When you get there tell him you like it but since you can't see it run, offer him $50 less or something. Obviously it's tough to know if the motor is okay without powering it up, but if it's in reasonably good shape the motor should hopefully be okay. I'd say $300 if it's in decent condition and you'll probably spend another $30 on bearings/oil plus your time.
Good luck Jeff!

Jeff Duncan
08-24-2013, 10:04 AM
I agree with David, there's an inherent risk to buying machinery and that risk goes up significantly when you cannot see it running. That's one way of getting some very good buys in equipment. Since it cannot be seen running, the price should be reflected in that and should be significantly less than similar planers. I believe every situation is a bit different, but generally I'll 'risk' more for higher end machines than I would for lower end which aren't built quite as well.

good luck,
Jeffd

David Kumm
08-24-2013, 10:14 AM
If it's blue or early white it's probably Taiwan. Better than the early Chinese versions. Same thing with Delta. Light blue is better than X5. Dave

Stephen Cherry
08-24-2013, 10:25 AM
I You also talk to the owner and either get a good or bad feeling.

This point can not be overstated. Do enough buying and selling, and you will be able to tell who is who. When I call about a machine, I have a list of questions made up, and I try to read between the lines.

Jeff Bartley
08-25-2013, 7:48 AM
Thanks for the advice guys! You all have confirmed my thoughts. The seller seems to be a stand up fellow. I'll report back after I make him an offer! I really hope it happens......I'd be super excited to clean up a new-to-me machine!!