PDA

View Full Version : What is it? Dremel Attachment.

Lance Mirrer
08-24-2013, 6:28 AM
Hi All,
I just purchased a Dremel Flex Shaft with this triangle shaped item on the end. I'll appreciate any help identifying what it is.
Thanks!:confused:

Rich Engelhardt
08-24-2013, 8:46 AM
What model Dremel tool is that flex shaft supposed to fit?
Is the flex shaft itself even a Dremel product?

Jerry Bruette
08-24-2013, 6:30 PM
Did you buy the Dremel new or used. That sure looks like a carbide insert to me. Can't imagine what you'd try to cut with that thing spinning at about 10,000 RPM's

John McClanahan
08-24-2013, 7:53 PM
That looks like a carbide insert to me too. And the no-load speed of a Dremel is closer to 30,000 rpm.:eek::eek:

John

Bruce Page
08-24-2013, 7:53 PM
+1 on carbide insert. Typical lathe carbide insert, although I've seen them used on milling fly cutters also.
No idea why it would be on the end of a dremel tool.

Peter Kuhlman
08-24-2013, 9:10 PM
Wow - that thing looks dangerous!!!! Could do some serious damage with that.

Frederick Skelly
08-24-2013, 9:52 PM
If it came insstalled in the chuck, I wonder if that was there to somehow stabilize/protect the chuck during shipment? Sorry if Im way off base here.
Fred

James Tibbetts
08-24-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm not thinking carbide. The corners and edges are all evenly rounded; no cutting edges. I could be wrong, and I would love to know for sure what it is.

Joe Hillmann
08-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Which end of the shaft is it on? Is it possible that the shaft is for a drill rather than a dremel? That way triangle may fit nicely into a 3 jaw chuck.

Rich Engelhardt
08-25-2013, 7:04 AM
Which end of the shaft is it on?Exactly....
Dremel had Lord only knows how many different tools over the years that used a flex shaft.
Only the (IIRC) 225 shaft is current and the one the current crop of rotary tools uses.

The Dremel scroll saw alone had what, 8 different flex shafts?

My best guess would be that the triangle is part of the drive end that fits in the power take off.
That's the reason I asked what model Dremel tool the flex shaft is supposed to fit.

Bruce Page
08-25-2013, 1:47 PM
My best guess would be that the triangle is part of the drive end that fits in the power take off.
That's the reason I asked what model Dremel tool the flex shaft is supposed to fit.

Could be, but I wonder why they would go to the trouble of creating the recess around the outside edge - a common chip breaker feature on insert tooling. Pictured is one of my lathe turning tools with chip breaker insert.

Joe Hillmann
08-25-2013, 2:28 PM
It could always be something that someone screwed on there that wasn't meant to be on there.

Keith Weber
08-26-2013, 5:32 AM
I'm not thinking carbide. The corners and edges are all evenly rounded; no cutting edges. I could be wrong, and I would love to know for sure what it is.

Definitely a lathe insert for a metal lathe. The corners are slightly rounded to give a smoother cut, and because carbide is brittle and the tips would break off if they were sharp points. They're typically used on CNC lathes and milling machine insert cutters, because the CNC controller can feed them consistently at uniform speeds under relatively heavy cuts. On a manual machine they tend to chip more because of the varying feed rates. They perform better under heavy cuts rather than trying to shave off an extra .0005 inches, because the edges aren't as razor sharp as a HSS cutter.

The person that put that on your Dremel didn't know what it was. Please don't try to use it in the Dremel because it will most likely shatter and will not do any good to whatever you'd be using it on.

Keith

Ellery Becnel
08-26-2013, 5:49 AM
It looks like a TNMG432 style uncoated "finishing" carbide insert. The center hole probably fit the flex holder. Like everyone has stated. Very dangerous! DO NOT USE! On the side of the insert it might have the mfg. or style info on it.

Ellery Becnel

Rich Engelhardt
08-26-2013, 6:59 AM
It could always be something that someone screwed on there that wasn't meant to be on there.There is always that possibility too - but - the business end of my Dremel flex shaft (a 225) isn't threaded on the inside, it's smooth so it can accept the mandrel. - plus it has a handgrip.
The picture the OP posted looks nothing like either end of a current Dremel flex shaft.

Also - I just noticed this on Amazon when looking for a picture of the flex shaft:

"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
"

Lance Mirrer
08-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. I have a Dremel 800 and a Craftsman Rotary with the same threads. So far, all accesories have fit both well. I ordered this for the shaft, and will provide better info when I receive it.
I will take Keith & Ellery's advice about not using it on the dremel. May end up as a gift to a friend with a metal lathe.