PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi B600A resaw band saw.

jack forsberg
08-23-2013, 2:23 PM
Pick one up today cheap. seems low on HP power from what i can tell in the manual. is 5 hp to much for this machine. Any one know the motor RPMs as i don't have a motor for it. I got a 3 hp 1140 rpm in the rat hole but i would like to run 3" tip blades.
Thoughts on this machine? did I get taken at $400.

Jim Matthews
08-26-2013, 8:18 AM
If the motor holds up under the load, this was a smoking bargain.

The only hassle is finding blades wide enough to do this justice.
Don't do anything but resaw with those, they're too pricey to dull on nails.

The few people I've met using these eventually upgraded to higher output motors, running on 240Vac.
There's considerable drag generated when running a 3" wide piece of steel through a deep resaw cut.

David G Baker
08-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Jack if you have a use for the saw you got a heck of a deal. I doubt you could buy any thing comparable for any where the price you paid.

jack forsberg
08-26-2013, 2:47 PM
Jack if you have a use for the saw you got a heck of a deal. I doubt you could buy any thing comparable for any where the price you paid.

It would be nice to just have it set up to re-saw. Don't really need the saw as i have 3 other band saws i just don't want to change blades and this one though the smallest takes the widest blade.

I was going to re-saw on my Wadkin 30" but i would much prefer to use it as a curvy saw. what do you think should i just set it so i don't have change blades on the Wadkin? I heard they were a good little resaw but maybe all I really need is the wadkin for resaw.

the wadkin in action what say ye? Oh ya i got 5 blades 3" all tipped with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYVqoiWFeBg&list=TLXrlGpKQpcNI

Stephen Cherry
08-26-2013, 4:44 PM
Nice saws Jack- the first piece of lumber did not stand a chance in the video.

And yes, you got ripped off on the other saw at 400 dollars. (just joking, that was a give away price)

Here's my take on he machine. One thing about resaw that nobody talks about is the support for the wood, the feed, the fence, etc. Particularly with the big machines. For example, Laguna makes a 24 inch saw with 24 inch resaw height. Have you tried to lift a two inch thick, 24 inch wide block of lumber, maybe 6 feet long? I sure can't lift something like that and hold it against the fence and feed it. If you are cutting short pieces into veneer, that is one thing, but big lumber needs some support. I've seen a hatachi like yours set up as a resawer, and it had rollers front and back, and power feed. It was a nice looking setup, but the saw was just part of the equation. I seem to remember that they had swapped in a larger motor.

If I had run into that deal, and was in the position to pull the trigger, I would consider running bigger power.
Look at this saw, It's got a much larger motor
http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-Dual-Conveyor-Horizontal-Re-Saw-Bandsaw/G0504