PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw Workspace Question

John Jackson
08-23-2013, 7:12 AM
I recently bought a used Epilog Helix Laser and it seems to be working fine from Corel Draw X4.

My problem is that I also use the same computer to drive my Graphtec Plotter, my HP 4550 printer, etc.

For each device there are preferences which should be default, but are specific to that machine. For example the default page size for the laser is 18X24, which is not good for the HP4550 printer.

Will saving and restoring workspaces solve my setting conflicts? Is there an easy way to be prompted for the workspace to be used, for example on the welcome menu?

Lastly, any comments if there are features in X6 that are not in X4 that might help this situation?

Thanks!

John Jackson

Dan Hintz
08-23-2013, 7:44 AM
Can you not simply have multiple printers set up, each with different default settings, and select the proper one when you go to print?

I can't remember offhand if Corel always goes to the default printer upon startup or if it saves the last used and goes with that... if it's the latter, sounds like your problem is solved after the first use.

Scott Shepherd
08-23-2013, 8:41 AM
Here's what I think you want. I didn't talk thought it, I think it's self explanatory. I showed how to create and save new workspaces. At the end, I start deleting things off the long list just to show you how to clean that long list up so you'll only have a few items that you use on the drop down menu once you do that.

Hope this is what you were asking.

http://youtu.be/coGeDBbTCgQ

Dan Hintz
08-23-2013, 9:03 AM
Ohhhh, so rereading it, maybe you want to run all of those printers within Corel, not different programs for each printer?

Scott Shepherd
08-23-2013, 9:22 AM
If you change the settings (click on the gear at the bottom of the video) and pic 720pHD, then do fullscreen, you should be able to clearly see all the things I'm doing.

Mike Null
08-23-2013, 11:52 AM
When you select print on the Corel screen there is a drop down menu listing all your printers. If you select one that should take you to the default page for the printer.

I run two engravers and 3 printers from my pc. My default is an HP which I use for invoices and general purpose printing. When I select the laser it defaults to my custom page size. One printer is a card printer and defaults to card size while my Newing Hall defaults to the last used.

edit: While the printers do as explained above corel does not change when a different printer is selected so the page size must be changed if printing from Corel. Sorry for the mis-information.

Steve

Thanks for that tip I didn't know about after 15 + years of using Corel.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-23-2013, 2:11 PM
Custom page sizes are awesome to work with. For example, if you work with a lot of plaques such as 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc you can create custom pages for each one. The only negative I have found is that you cannot save your custom rulers for each page. (I thought it used to do it, but it's not there in X6.) If you need to set up custom rulers (so you can have your 0's match your laser bed) you can creat custom templates that not only have your page size, ruler, layers and guidelines.

As for the question in X6, I don't believe there are new features that could help you from X4. I jumped from X3 to X6 and the biggest problem I have had is my XP computer slows to a crawl while trying to save or open X6 files as well as many other slowness issues.

John Jackson
08-23-2013, 8:14 PM
Thanks to everyone for their replies, especially Scott for making the video. So much to learn!

John