PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good digital measurement device?

Michael Dunn
08-22-2013, 7:23 PM
Subject says it all...

Any thoughts?

joseph dake
08-22-2013, 7:37 PM
I use a cheap digital caliper from HF and have no complaints. I use it when I want an exact thickness from my planner. I also love it for setting up my dado blades for just about everything. If it is off by a few thousand I would never know.

Keith Bohn
08-22-2013, 7:40 PM
Hilti PD40, but it isn't so great with reflective surfaces like metal studs.

Michael Dunn
08-22-2013, 7:50 PM
I use a cheap digital caliper from HF and have no complaints. I use it when I want an exact thickness from my planner. I also love it for setting up my dado blades for just about everything. If it is off by a few thousand I would never know.

Cool. I was referring to a device for measuring distances between walls and ceilings. I'd also like something that can measure angles of walls and vaulted ceilings. If there is such a device.

joseph dake
08-22-2013, 8:01 PM
I have used the hilti and bosch laser measuring devices but find them only good enough for a very rough length. I was building a massive store front in west Des Moines, Iowa a few years back that the engineer had custom cut metal studs for all the hundred different length's. I had a better chance just dropping a 50' foot tape from a lift. As far as an angle finder goes the bosch protractor is awesome as far as I am concerned. Sorry I didn't know what you were wanting when I wrote earlier.

Richard Coers
08-22-2013, 9:02 PM
Cool. I was referring to a device for measuring distances between walls and ceilings. I'd also like something that can measure angles of walls and vaulted ceilings. If there is such a device.

So you're saying the subject doesn't say it all?

Michael Dunn
08-22-2013, 9:15 PM
So you're saying the subject doesn't say it all?

Lol! That's right. That's what I get for trying to be brief in the subject. I knew what I meant. I forgot that other people aren't inside my head.

Paul Stoops
08-23-2013, 10:10 AM
When we had an insurance adjuster measure some rooms in our home for an insurance claim, he used a hand held DeWalt laser device that is supposed to be accurate within 1/8". A very impressive tool! I don't know the model no., but you could probably find it with a web search.

Paul

Jordan Lane
08-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Leica Disto ...extremely accurate

Will Blick
08-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Ditto Leica if you want accuracy and near perfect angles.... they make all price ranges based on fetures, but all cost more than the major makers...
common problem on forums....too little information, never ASSume, cause, well...... lol....

Gus Dundon
08-23-2013, 2:44 PM
I am thinking on getting laser distance measuring tool too. I'm lookin' on Bosch, Leica Disto, Cst Berger.