PDA

View Full Version : shaker wall cabinet

Ralph Boumenot
08-22-2013, 4:59 PM
I finished this a last monthy. I had found the raised panel in my black hole and made this cabinet to fit it. All hand made except for the raised panel and the mortises. It's finished with a dark green enamel paint on the exterior and I left the interior unfinished.

Will Boulware
08-22-2013, 5:07 PM
Nice work! I like it!

Bob Glenn
08-22-2013, 5:25 PM
Wow, I really like that. Just made the sawing bench it's sitting on. I love the color. I think the muted satin blue looks great with natural wood color. I make a lot of furniture that is partially painted, and most of it is blue. The family calls it Bob's blue furniture.

Nicely proportioned. This will go on my must build list. Great job, Ralph. Thanks for sharing. Bob

David Weaver
08-22-2013, 5:26 PM
Looks good Ralph. it's funny that you went out of your way to make an entire project for a door panel. Usually read that someone found a cabinet and had to make a door panel for it. Whatever it takes, though, looks clean and tasteful.

Chris Griggs
08-22-2013, 5:46 PM
Nicely done Ralph. Always fun to put the scrap pile to good use.

Clean and tasteful...I like the moldings too.

Don Dorn
08-22-2013, 8:05 PM
Very well proportioned and nicely done. I too like painted pieces in some types of work and that is one of them - certainly gives it that authentic Shaker look.

Bob Jones
08-22-2013, 9:58 PM
Nice work although I have a hard time imagining a shop so large that you "find" cabinet doors :)

Frederick Skelly
08-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Looks great Ralph! Think you could find me a Unisaw in that black hole of yours? ; )
Fred

Hilton Ralphs
08-23-2013, 3:47 AM
Great cabinet Ralph. Any particular reason you used enamel paint (apart from having it lying around)?

It's also good to see a 'homely' workshop as opposed to those pristine ones found in the magazines. Trust the fridge is full of beer?

I enjoy reading your blog BTW.

Jim Stewart
08-23-2013, 5:11 AM
Nice, well proportioned piece. I like it.

Jim

Lloyd Robins
08-23-2013, 7:47 AM
Wonderful job! Well balanced. I usually don't like green paint, but the very dark green that you have used looks great. I have to ask (everyone else probably knows without asking). What kind of wood was used? Also, I just found your blog. Also very nice and good reading. Thanks Hilton.

glenn bradley
08-23-2013, 9:21 AM
Very cool. I would be tempted to color the edges of the openings to avoid the lighter color peeking out around the edges but, that is to taste and not a criticism. The color, dimensions and style make placement for this piece very versatile. Nice work.

Ralph Boumenot
08-23-2013, 9:30 AM
Thanx for the comments. It seems I did something right. The paint is left over from a clock project - the moldings I made with my router and I forgot this was another corded tool job - the size of the cabinet was based on the size of the door and the drawer was my second try at half blind dovetails. I also thought of painting the inside lip of the drawer and door opening but after looking at I think it adds a old and worn look to the cabinet.

Chris Hachet
08-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Looks good Ralph. it's funny that you went out of your way to make an entire project for a door panel. Usually read that someone found a cabinet and had to make a door panel for it. Whatever it takes, though, looks clean and tasteful.Agreed, very clean and tasteful...love your color choice for the finished project!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Nice job, Ralph! My wife and I have a sweet spot for this kind of piece. The photo perspective is a throwing me off - what's the the rough dimensions of the thing?