PDA

View Full Version : Paint question

Sean Troy
08-22-2013, 3:12 PM
Can I paint (Spray) over oil based paint with Acrylic latex after de-glossing the oil based paint and scuffing with steel wool? Thanks, Sean

Sean Troy
08-22-2013, 3:33 PM
You'll find a lot of posts on the Internet saying 'oil over latex = good, latex over oil = bad'.

I had a bad experience trying to put oil over latex on a closet unit.

For my money, if the latex is not peeling, I'd scuff sand it, then prime with something like Zinsser BIN, and then use your oil based.
I'm actually trying to do latex over oil (Alkyd)

Rich Engelhardt
08-22-2013, 3:39 PM
Scuff sand it, then prime it with Glidden Gripper and you're good to go.

Up until three years ago, I'd have said scuff sand it then prime it with Zinsser 1*2*3 - but - the last three times I used 1*2*3, I had problems with it.
Gripper has worked just as well for me as the 1*2*3 used to.

B*I*N will also work - however - its a bear to clean it up and it's sort of overkill for this.
The Gripper is roughly half the price of B*I*N.

Jason Roehl
08-22-2013, 8:43 PM
I'll second the Gripper. It's good stuff. I can tell you this--I won't ever leave it on a window for two weeks in the summer again, expecting to be able to scrape it off. Especially not a 9-lite window in an entry door.

Sean Troy
08-22-2013, 8:59 PM
Can this Gripper be found at the Big Box stores or just paint stores? Thanks, Sean

Jason Roehl
08-22-2013, 9:16 PM
That's a good question. Of the BORGs, the orange one would be the one to check, since they carry Glidden paints last I knew (don't go in there very often, certainly not for paint). Otherwise, Porter/PPG recently bought Glidden from Akzo-Nobel, so they may have it as well as any Glidden stores.

Sean Troy
08-22-2013, 10:48 PM
That's a good question. Of the BORGs, the orange one would be the one to check, since they carry Glidden paints last I knew (don't go in there very often, certainly not for paint). Otherwise, Porter/PPG recently bought Glidden from Akzo-Nobel, so they may have it as well as any Glidden stores.
I'll check the Orange one first when I get up that way this weekend. Thanks, Sean

John TenEyck
08-23-2013, 8:06 PM
My local HD has Glidden Gripper.

John

Sean Troy
08-23-2013, 11:22 PM
My local HD has Glidden Gripper.

John
Thanks John.