PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Carts for Lasers

Michael Vasiloff
08-21-2013, 9:54 AM
Hey all,
I am trying to find a mobile cart to use for my laser. I have an Epilog Mini 12x24 laser, and I am trying to find a cart that ideally:
60" long
locking wheels
locking storage below
prefer plastic over metal due to weight and shipping

I am surprised how hard of a time I have had finding something (or something sub $1000). I thought maybe someone here has had a similar need. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks
Mike

Dan Hintz
08-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Something that big will likely be meant for heavy items, and therefore will not be made out of plastic. Have you considered making your own using a wooden bench top (Home Depot sells inexpensive laminate countertop in 6-14' sections... I think an 8' section cost me $100). Add in some 4x4s and some casters and you have yourself a pretty beefy table.

Glen Monaghan
08-21-2013, 10:47 AM
I was looking for something similar and gave up, decided to make my own. Since I have some white cabinets holding supplies, I bought matching melamine sheet stock at the local home center and they cut it up for me, something like 25 cents per cut. I took home the top, bottom, left, right, back, and center divider pieces, ironed on some edge banding to dress up the cut edges, and screwed the whole thing together with some specialty screws from McFeely's. Bolted four 4" casters into flange nuts through the bottom. Still need to make a drawer for the top of one side of the divider to hold tape, scissors, etc., and a pull out tray for the the bottom of the other side to hold frequently used fixtures and drops-in-progress. Perfect height, width, length, and configuration to suit my needs, and pretty easy to do in a day or two for under $200.

Mike Null
08-21-2013, 11:05 AM
You might contact Roy Brewer of Engraving Concepts. I watched one of his demos awhile back and he used a folding device that looked a bit like a gurney to do what you want. Roy is in his 60's and not a big fellow and he moves that Epilog in and out of his van with no problem and then runs his demo with it on the table.

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/

Here's one silmilar to Roy's. http://www.salesmakercarts.com/equipment_gurney_collapsible_cart_easy_loader.asp

Martin Boekers
08-21-2013, 2:46 PM
I agree with Glenn check out pre-made cabinets and build a dolly for them, then a melamine top and your set!

johnt leslie
08-21-2013, 2:51 PM
I just bought an Epilog Mini 18 and here's the table I purchased to set it on. Works great! It was $150 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AQO9C/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John Leslie
Houston, TX

gary l roberts
08-21-2013, 6:18 PM
From the wood working world, try Kreig the pocket hole people, make a table.

Ernie Balch
08-21-2013, 8:19 PM
I agree the kreig pocket hole approach to building tables is really easy. We built 2 nice workbenches in an afternoon using the HD kit.

AL Ursich
08-21-2013, 10:40 PM
I made some with Hydraulic Platforms Carts... No storage or cover...

And some very old laser engravers...:D