PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Board or Miter Trimmer if money no problem?

John Padgett
08-21-2013, 9:06 AM
My friend asked me about a Lion Miter Trimmer vs a shooting board. As I have never used a trimmer, I thought I would get input here. If money was not an issue, which would you use?
Thanks.
John.

Jerry Thompson
08-21-2013, 12:19 PM
I have never used a trimmer. You could not take my shooting board(s) nor my LV LA Jack plane from me.

Jim Ritter
08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
I have the lion trimmer and use it all the time. It's real asset to me is it's ability to trim odd angles that a shooting board can not do on short notice. I mostly use it for fitting trim when onboard a boat. Easy to transport and just some small chips to clean up.
Jim

Jim Koepke
08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
If money was not an issue, which would you use?

Both

jtk

more to make 10

jim goddard
08-21-2013, 12:53 PM
I think Id stick w/ a shoot board only. The trimmer is really slick but its working range is limited were as the shoot board is very flexible....and you can use the plane for other things. I suppose it comes down to how you work and what you work on rather than $ so much.

george wilson
08-21-2013, 1:16 PM
I love my trimmer,but,as said,its width capacity is limited to something like 4"(haven't used mine in a while). I have a real Lion,and an import. BOTH do just fine. Keep the blades razor sharp,and it will do remarkable work.

Tony Zaffuto
08-21-2013, 1:40 PM
I have and use both and would not give up either.

Jim Matthews
08-21-2013, 3:41 PM
I'm not clear on what else a trimmer can do - it's not the sort of thing that seems to have multiple functions.

My shooting board can be adjusted by degrees, just adding tape to the fence.
It's pretty small, too. Nice to have something so functional that takes little space to store.

Are the knives replaceable on the trimmer, or must you sharpen them?
Pretty easy to sharpen my plane for trimming...

Malcolm Schweizer
08-21-2013, 3:53 PM
I just built a huge shooting board with an attachment that clamps in for doing miters. It is simple and quick, and I can do large or small stuff on it. The miter trimmer is great for framing and narrow stock, but as others have said, the capacity is lacking. I would go for the shooting board if I only had one choice, and if money were no object, I would get the new Veritas shooting plane that is just coming out. Currently I use a Veritas low-angle jack for shooting and it works great.

George Bokros
08-21-2013, 4:16 PM
I acquired a miter trimmer when my father-in-law passed. It is awesome. I am not sure if it is Lion or not, never really checked. Don't use it much but I will not part with it.

George

george wilson
08-21-2013, 6:11 PM
My trimmer came in real handy(with a minimum of dust) when I had to replace all the quarter round moldings in this house,closets and all. I could make small length adjustments that a miter saw would have slid off of.

You must resharpen the knives.

Adam Cruea
08-22-2013, 8:42 AM
Personally, I'd just make a shooting board and all the attachments for angles that are needed. I enjoy using my LN 51 with my hickory shooting board, and to me, a plane blade is much easier to sharpen than the blade on those mitre trimmers.