PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding decorative hardware

Joe Cowan
08-20-2013, 5:27 PM
I am rebuilding an very small old crib and had to replace some bed bolts and the end cap that was on the old hardware. I need to find a 1/4" endcap for the bed bolt that is threaded, to screw onto the new bedbolts, and this cap will be the nut that holds the wheels on this small piece of furniture. The old end caps was rounded and looks nice, but were frozen onto the old hardware. I have looked in Lee Valley, Rockler and the big box houses. Anyone know of a source for specialty nuts and bolts?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-20-2013, 5:32 PM
Joe,

Can you post a photo of the old end cap as an example?

Joe Cowan
08-20-2013, 6:22 PM
Joe,

Can you post a photo of the old end cap as an example?

I threw them away when I took the various pieces apart. All they are are nuts that have rounded solid ends. They looks like end caps on a curtain rod, but are smooth. They do not need to be exactly the same, but I do not want to see the threaded ends of the bed bolts after the wheels have been put back on. They must have the functional use of screwing on and securing the wheels and also decorative.

ray hampton
08-20-2013, 7:03 PM
end caps are the sheet metal piece that go on axles end , what you want are call cap nuts , in the states , the United Kingdom got a different name for it

Ken Fitzgerald
08-20-2013, 7:45 PM
Bingo! Ray nailed it .....do a search for cap nuts, 1/4" at Grainger or McMaster-Carr.....acorn also works. Here's McMaster-Carr's search http://www.mcmaster.com/#acorn-nuts/=o5hwye

Joe Cowan
08-20-2013, 8:48 PM
That is it. Thanks.