PDA

View Full Version : Green "Weave"

John Beaver
08-20-2013, 4:32 PM
5 x 10 Sycamore / Oak

Second try at this technique. Colored with Artist grade translucent paint.

Still not sure about the name. Suggestions welcome.

C&C's please

James Combs
08-20-2013, 8:54 PM
I like! I think the name fits well for the color combo. How did you cut the "staves"?

Fred Belknap
08-20-2013, 9:58 PM
John I really like that. The simple look belies the difficulty in the construction. The color us just right.

Carl Civitella
08-20-2013, 10:08 PM
I am in awe, beautiful,piece. The name fits it.. Carl

Bob Bergstrom
08-21-2013, 9:02 AM
It should be named "green envy" because all turners who see it will be green with envy that they wish they could create such a wonderful piece!

joe marra
08-21-2013, 7:38 PM
I'm not worthy, great piece.

Lloyd Butler
08-21-2013, 11:50 PM
Great looking piece and the color contrast is really nice with the natural inset ring.

Do you hold it in a chuck mounted to a sled so it holds the face of the bowl to the bandsaw blade, and then slide the bowl into the blade to make the first cut. Then rotate the chuck on some sort of index ring and make the next cut, and so on and so on? These sorts of jigs are made up to hold trim routers to allow them to cut flutes in a piece on the lathe. It would just take a 1x8 bolt in some sort of sturdy upright to mount the chuck on. Then use the fence to guide the piece straight into the blade.

With this sort of piece, it really opens up the possibilities for rim designs. You could initially under cut the bowl with a thick rim, and then after the slicing and gluing in the support ring, take it back to the lathe to turn away the inside of the rim to trim up the end so that it was smooth inside just at the rim. Or do it so that the rim flairs outside and inside initially and then true it up inside and out after installing the inset ring to finish it off so that the final rim is circular while the rest of the bowl shows the offset design.

Rick Markham
08-22-2013, 1:58 PM
Super cool John! I dig the name, I also like the green. The concept is super slick too, I can see this being a wide open area to explore for you. It really became super architectural, and still exceptionally elegant. A really wonderful juxtaposition.

Kathy Marshall
08-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Very nice John! Nice color and contrast and the name fits.