View Full Version : I made a table

Peter P. Brown
08-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Let me know what you think...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWMkqaCJqI

Thanks

Will Boulware
08-20-2013, 1:06 PM
Very cool! Love the video. Thanks for sharing!

Peter P. Brown
08-20-2013, 3:22 PM
Thanks! I really enjoyed making the video.

I'm not sure if I like the table as much! :)

Lee Schierer
08-20-2013, 8:07 PM
I like the top and the bottom, but I'm not a fan of the pedestal.

After seeing how you ended up cutting the oval out of the glued up slats, I wondered why you so carefully trimmed all the ends on your table saw.

Matt Day
08-20-2013, 9:45 PM
After seeing how you ended up cutting the oval out of the glued up slats, I wondered why you so carefully trimmed all the ends on your table saw.

I thought the same thing, especially when you glued then up so haphazardly and not aligned. No biggie of course. I found the video and the editing style entertaining, and I think it's always fun to watch someone else work to see how other people do it.

I have a feeling the table is going to be extremely unstable with that pedastle design - maybe they'd make better cutting boards?

Richard Coers
08-20-2013, 10:06 PM
If you had to use black pipe, something like 2" would have been better. What you used is way undersized. Also wasn't a fan of all those trimmings sitting by the table saw blade when you started a second cut. Those things fly like missiles if they vibrate into the blade. I also prefer to cut ovals off a pattern with a router. Belt sanding works, but lots of sanding after to take out the scratches.

Frederick Skelly
08-20-2013, 10:32 PM
I also like the table and base. I think making the tabletop from those slats, and cutting it oval, was creative. I wouldnt have thought to do either.

It seems a shame to use plain old pipe for that pedestal. Can you turn something to replace it?

Fred

Peter P. Brown
08-20-2013, 11:24 PM
I thought the same thing, especially when you glued then up so haphazardly and not aligned. No biggie of course. I found the video and the editing style entertaining, and I think it's always fun to watch someone else work to see how other people do it.

I have a feeling the table is going to be extremely unstable with that pedastle design - maybe they'd make better cutting boards?

Yeah... The answer is the ends all had pin nails sticking out of them, and I wanted to plane the wood down. At that point I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the top. The oval came to me after the glueup. I was also just going to put hairpin legs on it, but they're pretty pricey. (Like $50 for 3)

The table IS a little unstable, and I might have to change it down the road.

David C. Roseman
08-21-2013, 8:39 AM
Great video, Peter! Very professional.

David

Gus Dundon
08-21-2013, 4:32 PM
I like the video. I enjoyed it a lot. It turned out really great. What type of wood did you use? How many teeth per inch did you use?

Troy Turner
08-21-2013, 4:58 PM
Good lookin table. Looks like maybe you repurposed some wood from somewhere else? What finish did you use? Looked like Shellac, but I thought I'd ask. Wondering if you painted the pipe a dark brown, hammered metal, or satin, what look that would give it.

I've seen folks with tables like that in their homes. Lot of folks like that look.

Good video by the way too...