PDA

View Full Version : how do you get rid of shavings?

Noah Wagener
08-20-2013, 11:06 AM
How do you get rid of shavings? I have many lawn bags full which i usually take to a compost lot.

Bob Glenn
08-20-2013, 11:30 AM
That, or I save them and use them as tinder in the winter fireplace.

mike holden
08-20-2013, 11:44 AM
We have a compost pile and they break down to soil nicely. We also have a "compost" pickup along with recyclables and trash each week. ("compost" because they pick up grass clippings, leaves, etc. for composting)
Before that, they picked the shavings up with the regular pickup.
If there are horse farms in the area ask if they might be interested.

Chris Griggs
08-20-2013, 11:48 AM
By sweeping them up and putting them in a garbage bag as quickly as possible, before one of my cats can use them as a litter box!

Mark Engel
08-20-2013, 11:50 AM
I put an ad on CL offering them for free. I now have contact information for 2 local folks that use them for animal bedding, chickens, goats, etc.
Just make sure to let them know what species of wood is in the mix.

David Turner
08-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Walnut shavings/dust can be put on paths in the woods where you don't want anything to grow. Most other shaving can be placed around trees and shrubs; I then cover the shavings up with shredded cypress mulch.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Charlie Buchanan
08-20-2013, 12:02 PM
Where I live the city picks up lawn and hedge clippings and other small brush composts it and gives it away in the spring. I put my shavings and sawdust in that bin.

steven c newman
08-20-2013, 12:04 PM
Compost the mess, and then it is mulch. Have a nice pile out by the back fence, weeds srill grow through it....

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I usually just save up bags, and bring 'em on my local dump runs. (I tend to pick up a lot of random junk from the greenbelts in town and drop it off for recycling or whatever) The shavings end up in the big bins they put lawn waste in, I assume it get's composted. Offcuts get burned at the local power plant. I have given a few bags to folks for chicken coops, but I just don't make enough shavings or make them frequently enough for me to try and give 'em away.

Joe Ruden
08-20-2013, 12:17 PM
My wife spins her own yarn and we have been using osage orange shavings to dye the yarn.

Shawn Pixley
08-20-2013, 12:26 PM
I keep some for use in the chimnney starter when grilling. The rest go to the neighbors or waste.

David Weaver
08-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Waste management. Doing that irks me, but there's not a lot else I can do with them where I live. If I lived where my parents do, I'd just throw them in the woods.

Bill Huber
08-20-2013, 1:08 PM
I save all my saw dust and make my own MDF and the shavings I use to make particle board :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

I put them in a large paper bag and set them out for the city lawn pickup.

Tom Vanzant
08-20-2013, 1:22 PM
If you have Ipe shavings, DO NOT use them around animals. Very toxic to horses.

Zach Dillinger
08-20-2013, 1:24 PM
Compost. I burn the walnut shavings though.

Jim Koepke
08-20-2013, 1:25 PM
I save all my saw dust and make my own MDF and the shavings I use to make particle board

Now that should have some pictures and how to posted.

Mine help start the wood stove in the winter.

The chickens get some for nests but they seem to prefer hay.

One of our daughters used to take some when we lived in California. She teaches young children and they would make sack puppets. They would glue the shavings onto paper bags for the hair.

Then some actually make it to the compost pile.

jtk

Bill Haumann
08-20-2013, 1:25 PM
Some are tinder for the forge!

Roy Lindberry
08-20-2013, 2:50 PM
I just bag them up and use them for fire starter in the winter.

Andrae Covington
08-20-2013, 3:16 PM
You mean I'm not supposed to just let them pile up forever???

Somewhere under there is the miniature galvanized can that the shavings are supposed to go into...

Eventually I haul them out of the basement either to the compost bin or for metro compost pickup. Rarely I have used some for tinder in the fireplace-shaped object in the living room.

Jacob Nothstine
08-20-2013, 3:34 PM
We are all going to be rich:)
Was at a Farm market last weekend and there was a wood turner selling shaving for $2.50 a lunch bag. He said they were for adding smoke flavor when grilling.

Adam Cruea
08-20-2013, 3:42 PM
Bag up and let them take it with the recycling.

If I had some place to burn it, I would. I tried giving them away for smokers, but people around here said they were too thin to use (odd, we always just soaked them in water).

[edit]Forgot to say, I've sent out about 6 bags of hickory shaving since I made my bench out of them. Someone could have had some deliciously smoked ribs, but whatever. :(

Tony Shea
08-20-2013, 4:26 PM
At my last residence I used to keep a bon fire pile and always threw them on that. I was fairly deep into the woods and we basically could do whatever we wanted, like sighting my rifles and handguns in off my back deck. But now I live a small city of Ellsworth and have been struggling with my shaving removal. I absolutely hate sending them off to the dump, it's crazy to pay $ to get rid of my shavings but have had to a couple times since living here. I can't wait to get back in the woods and rekindle my relationship with the mosquito's. I'll take mosquito's any day over living in a city. I also used to use as many as possible to start the wood stove.

BTW, I think i heard where walnut shavings are also not good for horse bedding.

Jim Matthews
08-20-2013, 4:51 PM
+1 on starting the woodstove.

-1 on using any of the South American or African exotic for this purpose.
You don't want toxic smoke in your house. If the wood is listed as a respiratory allergen - don't burn it.

http://animals.pawnation.com/black-walnut-toxicity-horses-4323.html

Bernadette Semilla
08-20-2013, 5:41 PM
I keep a bin by the lathe to burnish things before finishing. Just pass a handful on the underside. Otherwise, it just goes in city compst/yard waste. I'm too paranoid about treated wood to do much else with it, to be honest.

bill tindall
08-20-2013, 7:25 PM
I mulch the garden with shavings. KD walnut doesn't harm anything. To demonstrate, one year I only mulched the tomatoes and peppers with KD walnut shavings. Green sawdust from the saw mill might be another issue, but even here the potentially toxic compound breaks down quickly. I once put several tandem truckloads of walnut saw dust from a local mill on some clay soil and planted a garden there the following years.

Brian Kent
08-20-2013, 7:51 PM
My dogs try to chase my gophers under my lawn, leaving huge troughs. The shavings fill the troughs. 2 problems sort of solved. Or at least complementary problems.

Judson Green
08-20-2013, 9:33 PM
I look for an open sun roof:D

but seriously back when I used to make a lot of shavings I give him the folks had horses or cows, careful to not have any walnut shavings in there. These days I don't make as many shavings so they end up in the general garbage.

Don Orr
08-23-2013, 11:11 AM
As a turner I generate alot of shavings. I bag them and give them to pottery friends who do Raku firing. I am careful to only give out domestic hardwood shavings that do not include Walnut. I have heard that they get very good results with my chips. Walnut and exotics go in the junk pile down back to break down.

Prashun Patel
08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Throw them in the woods. Lately, though, we've been using the fire pit a lot, so I've been burning them there.