PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley catalog - June 2005

Jon Olson
05-27-2005, 9:17 AM
The cover shots for the Lee Valley catalog are awesome (I don't work for Lee Valley) The project on the cover was commisioned by another woodworking forum for the big Tsunami relief effort. The group of WWA members took a collection and had one of the more experienced woodworkers build a piece that will be auctioned off for charity. It was a really cool project. the auction is being planned and if its possible I can post more information as soon as the details are finalized. If you interested in seeing how the project was made from start to finish or are interested in the guy that was commissioned here are two links (dont work for the website www.woodworking.org (http://www.woodworking.org-look) Look for "Tsunami Hope Chest"- or the artist www..australianwoodart.com/tsunami.htm (http://www..australianwoodart.com/tsunami.htm...just) ... just want to show everybody some great woodworking)

thanks and i hope you all enjoy

Jon Olson

Jeff Sudmeier
05-27-2005, 9:25 AM
The pictures at the linked site are truely amazing. The craftsmanship Dave shows is outstanding and to think that he is thinking of giving up the craft becuase he can't make ends meet :(

Dave Sweeney
05-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Dave is yet another example of the fact that it's the craftsman and not the tools that make the difference. Dave's table saw of choice is the Ryobi BT3000. FWIW, my TS is not a Ryobi.

Brad Olson
05-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Dave is yet another example of the fact that it's the craftsman and not the tools that make the difference. Dave's table saw of choice is the Ryobi BT3000. FWIW, my TS is not a Ryobi.

I've seen a lot of his work over the years and must wholeheartedly agree. He is a fantastic craftsman.

David Shaw
05-28-2005, 9:04 PM
Thanks for all your comments on my work . This is a first for me as a photographer too , so the whole thing is a buzz for me .

This link will get you to the project page and links there will take you to various techniques used in the creation of this chest .

http://www.australianwoodart.com/tsunami.htm

Cheers,
Dave

Mark Singer
06-08-2005, 12:36 AM
I highly reccomend viewing the construction methods. This is very thoughtful execution from a truly great crafstman! It is very informative!

Lee DeRaud
06-08-2005, 1:03 AM
I highly recommend viewing the construction methods. This is very thoughtful execution from a truly great crafstman! It is very informative!No kidding. But was I the only one who flinched when I realized what he meant by "turning those panels on the lathe"? That sounds plumb scary. (No, I'm not a turner...why do you ask?)

Mark Singer
06-08-2005, 1:08 AM
I would have done it some other way also! The box is not that large though
No kidding. But was I the only one who flinched when I realized what he meant by "turning those panels on the lathe"? That sounds plumb scary. (No, I'm not a turner...why do you ask?)

Bill Fields
06-08-2005, 1:55 AM
GEE! GOSH!

Holey Moley--I just got a LV printed catalog after placing a less than $20 order.

Being from the publishing industry, this gorgeous tome, fountain of secret knowlege--must have cost them $6-8 per each.

Thanks Lee Valley!

GIve them credit and order from them when you can.

Too pricey for me--but if you NEED it--go there. Support LV!

BILL FIELDS

David Shaw
06-08-2005, 3:18 AM
I would have done it some other way also! The box is not that large though

The trickiest part was the drawer fronts in the figured Queensland Maple . This panel was cut to the correct drawer sizes , then reglued with brown paper joints. 23" is big enough when it's a rectangle and you're hit and miss turning in figured grain . Not too much leeway for error .

Dave

Mark Singer
06-08-2005, 8:16 AM
Dave,

Why didn't you cut it into drawer fronts after te turning was complete?
The trickiest part was the drawer fronts in the figured Queensland Maple . This panel was cut to the correct drawer sizes , then reglued with brown paper joints. 23" is big enough when it's a rectangle and you're hit and miss turning in figured grain . Not too much leeway for error .

Dave

David Shaw
06-08-2005, 8:35 AM
Dave,

Why didn't you cut it into drawer fronts after te turning was complete?

Mark , the cutting must be done prior to turning so that the loss of the kerf thickness doesn't affect the circular turning .

The use of brown paper joints is a technique that allows multiple parts to be shaped as a whole , then separated . This applies to all types of shaping but is most commonly used in turning . The joint is quite strong but can be parted either with wedges or using clamps to "bend" the joint . A little like the technique used for cutting glass or tile .

When the joint is separated , half the thickness of brown paper is on each side of the joint , along with the PVA glue . Simple matter to use a low angle plane to clean back to timber with no loss of definition to the turning .

Once that stage was reached , the process of cutting dovetails was next .

Dave

Jim Becker
06-08-2005, 9:06 AM
Dave, welcome to SMC and thanks for sharing your insights on your wonderful work. We all have a lot to learn and welcome all contributions!!! (This is a nice place to hang out, too... ;) ...not to mention a great place to practice your picture posting...hee hee)

Frank Pellow
06-08-2005, 9:23 AM
Dave, first of all I would like to welcome you to Saw Mill Creek!

Over the years, Lee Valley has shown some great work on their covers and I have been saving a set of the best covers for a collage I am going to put together to hang in my new shop. I can tell you that the cover of the June issue went immediately into that set.

Its great to have the opportunity to hear how you made the box.

David Shaw
06-08-2005, 5:41 PM
Thanks for the welcome mat guys . I'm always happy to share knowledge I've gained ( just don't ask about the hinges ;) )

I forgot to mention before that like the drawer fronts , the doors also had to have their rabbets cut prior to turning . The side and rear panels also had their tongues cut while in the square and were then turned .

Dave

Jon Olson
06-09-2005, 9:18 AM
Dave,

i'm glad you were able to join SMC. I love your work and had to show it to another group of great WWers here at SMC.

Jon