PDA

View Full Version : CorelDraw Content and iMac via Parallels

John Bion
08-19-2013, 6:01 AM
To those who use a Mac and Parallels with Corel Draw.
I have been using Corel Draw via Parallels on my iMac for many months now without any problems, however I have not tried to use the Content folders until now. I went to see if I could save myself a little time by using some images from the vector images file however these files will only show thumb nails via the Mac (i.e.: you can't see them) not via CD/Microsoft. How can I get this to change? The problem is that although I can import files into CD without a problem (right clicking), I cannot browse them by thumbnail to choose the image I desire.
Any help is much appreciated.
Kind Regards,
John

Scott Shepherd
08-19-2013, 8:04 AM
You need to install a viewer on the windows side. The Mac will spoil you with previews, won't it? LOVE the ability to see eps files, etc. all without having to open anything.

I think a piece of software called Romcat has been recommended many times here over the years. It's a windows issue, not a mac or parallel related issue, so just install something like that and it should solve your problem.

John Bion
08-19-2013, 9:13 AM
Steve,
Thank you for your reply. Yep, I could happily stare at eps file logos all day ;)
I will have a look for Romcat.
Kind Regards,
John

Mike Troncalli
08-19-2013, 9:20 AM
I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to do, but there is an app called CDRviewer that is free on the Mac app store. I use it to view CDR files without having to open Corel. I have the same setup as you do.

Mike Null
08-19-2013, 9:23 AM
Here is a link to Romcat videos and tips. http://www.unleash.com/articles/romcat/

Scott Shepherd
08-19-2013, 10:10 AM
I think I misunderstood as well. Do you want to preview them in the OSX world or in the Windows world? If you meant in the OSX world, then I misunderstood what you were asking and Romcat probably isn't going to solve anything for you.

John Bion
08-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Thank you all for your replies. ROMCat is a great tool, in fact i am going to put it on my other computers too; through ROMCat I have just accidentally found files that I thought I had lost years ago!

Mike Troncalli, I will have a look at your suggestion too, sounds interesting.

Thanks again and kind Regards, John

MUHAMMAD KHAMBOO
11-04-2013, 5:59 AM
Hi John Bion,

My name is Muhammad, i have just bought a Mac pro and a new imac last month and the main program i use is the corel.

I see that you are using parallels as i also downloaded it and installed windows seven and corel but corel crashes all the time.

i wish to ask if you could help me set this up.

looking forward to your reply.

regards
Muhammad
+265999827274

Malawi, Africa.

Mike Troncalli
11-04-2013, 8:17 AM
Muhammad, What version of Corel, Parallels and OS are you using? Also please explain in more detail how Corel is crashing. There are several of us out here using Corel / Mac w/ Win7 and Parallels.

I had Corel X5 with Win7, Parallels 8 and Mountian Lion. No problems. I upgraded to Parallels 9 and Mavericks and still no problems. Also how much memory do you have on your machine? Running two OS's and Corel takes up a lot of memory.

Dee Gallo
11-04-2013, 9:55 PM
Muhammad,

I use a Mac with Bootcamp and have no problems ever. Bootcamp is native to Mac and free, so why not use it? I tried Parallels at first and found it buggy, but Bootcamp is fine. Worth a look for you?

Welcome to the Creek, by the way, you'll find it is a treasure trove of help, info and inspiration!

John Bion
11-11-2013, 6:11 PM
Muhammad,
I apologise, I never saw your post previously. I have answered your PM to me. I had a problem with CD freezing sometimes but this has been resolved by increasing the amount of RAM dedicated to the Virtual Machine. You do need to be careful that you do not dedicate too much memory to the VM or else this will slow the Mac down and in consequence the VM too. To change the RAM settings you will need to go into the Preferences settings, there is good advice available on the Parallels forum.
My greetings to the "Warm Heart of Africa" ;) (We almost lived in the same country under the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland).
Kind regards, John