PDA

View Full Version : poplar and pine wood source

Steve Robbins
08-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Hi

I just purchased a CNC laser for cutting and engraving wood. My company will mostly be cutting small items out of 1/4" thick poplar in large quantities... some pine. I am looking for a wholesale source for 1/4" thick poplar and pine boards that are of good quality. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Steve

AL Ursich
08-19-2013, 12:14 AM
WELCOME !!!!!!

Not a clue how to help.... Your location would be a good place to start... Add it to your header.

But Advice... I use kiln dried wood from my local Builder Supplier. Some of the nicest wood that I use for Signs is Long Leaf Pine that comes from of all places New Zealand.... At least that is what the Sticker had on it.... It is 1 x 6 D Select Clear Pine to my Builder...

I did try some local softwood that was kiln dried but the signs came out very bad... Big Grain and a 3/8 wide letter cut .2 deep the next day looked like it had been cut with a dove tail bit.... Got a moisture meter and never bought it again....

So my first choice is to check with your local builder supply. 1/4 inch stock may be a special order... but sure beats shipping wood...

Once you update your location you may find that someone here is close and can share suppliers.

Even type in a search "Wood Suppliers" and your Zip Code, that should help.

And invest into a moisture meter..... :)

For thin Laminated and solid wood.... www.Laserbits.com (http://www.Laserbits.com) sells some to the Engraving Industry at a Premium Price.

And last but least... Make a Donation to this site and become a Contributor and post in the Classified under "WTB 1/4 inch wood"

Good Luck,

AL

George M. Perzel
08-19-2013, 9:34 AM
Hi Steve;
Is this something you have done before or just part of a new plan? It's been my experience that neither poplar or pine engrave very well-tends to be yellowish without much contrast unless you slow down the speed or crankup the power and even then its not great. Ok if you plan on filling but the wide grain of both leaves a lot to be desired. What is it that you plan on making?
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Mark E Wilson
08-19-2013, 10:12 AM
I would check out a local lumber yard. 1/4" would have to be run through a plainer most likely. I have a buddy that supplies me with all kinds of wood, but especially my 1/8" Baltic Birch plywood. Tidewater Lumber in Greenville, SC. But again, build a relationship with a local supplier, they typically have over runs or left over short boards they want to get rid of.

Mike Null
08-19-2013, 12:27 PM
I agree with George. A wholesale supplier is most likely going to be a mill and I doubt that you'll have much success finding really sharp pricing.

George sells some very nice hardwood shorts in walnut, cherry and mahogany and you can pm him for more info.

Lee DeRaud
08-19-2013, 2:51 PM
Home Depot sells 1/4" poplar and oak. I'm not suggesting you buy from them, but it might not hurt to check the labels and contact their supplier. (I'd give you the name, but the first thing I do when I get the stuff home is take the labels off because it's a lot easier when they're fresh than after six months in my garage.)