PDA

View Full Version : Counterbore Bit

Josh Hulit
08-18-2013, 6:58 PM
I'm looking for a flat-bottom counterbore bit with a 9/16" pilot and 3/4" counterbore for a bunch of specialty switches. Any ideas where I could buy something like this or have one made? Found some through Amana, but nothing big enough. Thanks!

Mark Wooden
08-18-2013, 7:02 PM
Try Woodworkers Tool Works, they make a lot of custom tooling. I had them make a spiral flush cut router bit for me and it's really well made.

Josh Hulit
08-18-2013, 7:27 PM
Thanks Mark, I'll check them out.

pat warner
08-18-2013, 7:33 PM
Common, garden variety.
See MCM, (http://www.mcmaster.com/#) e.g. or Cleveland if you want to spend real money.

Mel Fulks
08-18-2013, 7:51 PM
Agree with Mark,WTW does good work. It is also one of the few ( if not only) places where you can order shaper knives for the old slotted collars ground with the proper " sweep". Funny story about that guy. Once ordered a stock item from him
that was wrong ( my fault) .Sent it back . Weeks later we had not gotten credit ,turned out he had not received the returned item. More weeks later mailman brought the package back. I had sent it to the address on the invoice BUT THE
COMPANY HAD MOVED TO ANOTHER STATE. Told me the employees were supposed to cross out the old address and stamp in the new one. Somebody didnt get the memo. He saves money on invoices and passes the savings on to you.

Phil Thien
08-18-2013, 8:15 PM
Common, garden variety.
See MCM, (http://www.mcmaster.com/#) e.g. or Cleveland if you want to spend real money.

Pat is correct, that is common tooling that can be ordered. You order the bit (3/4") and the size pilot you need (9/16").

You can get a 3/4" HSS counterbore w/ 1/2" shank, for $62.25 from McMmaster. It is part #3015A31. It uses pilots w/ a 1/4" shank.

Then add a 9/16" pilot with 1/4" shank for $10.94 (McMaster part # 3103A39).

You can also get aircraft type counterbores, these have a 1/4" shank. For a 3/4" bit counterbore, though, that 1/2" shank would be nice (better grip in the chuck).

You can also get counterbores with carbide tips.

You can find some of this stuff on eBay.

Josh Hulit
08-18-2013, 8:31 PM
Thanks guys,
I think that's exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate all the feedback!