PDA

View Full Version : Tenon Question

tim walker
08-18-2013, 2:34 PM
What width and depth ratio should I make tenons?

My stock will be 1 1/4" thick. I am thinking 3/4" deep, but should width be a function of tenon depth or board thickness. I am thinking for the 1 1/4" thick board, a 3/4" x 3/4" deep leaving 1/4" cheeks on each side.

Thanks all,

Stephen Cherry
08-18-2013, 8:01 PM
What width and depth ratio should I make tenons?

My stock will be 1 1/4" thick. I am thinking 3/4" deep, but should width be a function of tenon depth or board thickness. I am thinking for the 1 1/4" thick board, a 3/4" x 3/4" deep leaving 1/4" cheeks on each side.

Thanks all,

3/4 thick tenon is generally pretty thick. Is this for a table?

If yes, You could almost universally use a 3/8 thick tenon for a table apron. I make mine about one inch from the top of a leg, all the way to the bottom of tha apron, So a 3 1/2 inch apron would have a 2 1/2 inch tall tenon. Tenon depth would be where they meet inside the leg, as long as possible.

Of course all this is abstract without knowing the dimensions of the leg, if it is a table, etc. In any case, the rule of thumb is about 1/3 the thickness of the stock for tenon thickness for a table. Is it a workbench? then maybe thicker tenons.

tim walker
08-19-2013, 5:22 PM
Sorry, this is for a siting stool in my wifes dressing room. It will be 18" tall, with a stretcher connecting the two legs about 6" off the ground. Leg will be approx 6" wide at top tapering out to approximately 9" on bottom. The stool top is 10 1/2" deep. The start of the leg will be 3" from the end of the stool, therefore that is where the mortise will be cut. I was thinking 3/4" for the M&T because it will see daily stress while she is sitting on it.