PDA

View Full Version : On pricing a job...

aurelio alarcon
05-27-2005, 3:10 AM
Ok here's the scenario: You get a call from some guy who wants his bathroom remodeled. If you are going to paint, set tile, remove and reset the toilet and sink fixtures and do the trim work, do you charge differently for each trade?

Walt Pater
05-27-2005, 6:11 AM
Aurelio, you could charge differently if you bid each aspect of the job, as in, "the tiling will be X, the trim will be Y, and the plumbing will be Z." If you are going to do it all, you might find it difficult to itemize hourly each trade as you work, since you might, for instance, frame a knee wall, put an outlet in it, then put hardibacker on it all in one afternoon. How you assess each trade is up to you if you are going to give a price for the whole job. I rarely do any other trade except (maybe) some electrical, and when I do that it's only to move a box or whatever, but don't charge differently for it. I highly recommend subbing the plumbing, any plumbing, to a reputable plumber.

Phil Phelps
05-27-2005, 6:31 AM
You do as a general contractor. Itemize every job as if it were sub contracted to different sources and add twenty percent.