PDA

View Full Version : Lighting setup for the Jet 1642

John Keeton
08-18-2013, 12:21 PM
A couple of weeks ago, Jay Yoder posted this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?206247-lathe-articulated-lighting-designs&highlight=lighting) about articulated lighting setups for the lathe. I had been wanting to improve my system, and Jay's thread prompted me to find a couple of gooseneck lights on the bay. Temporarily, I rigged up a wood bar for the lights as I was hosting a turning club gathering and wanted them up for that. At the meeting, Jamie Donaldson suggested I adapt the "cage" that comes with the Jet 1642 to replace the wood bar. Great idea! I took the Sawzall, and removed the bar from the cage, ground off the nubs, drilled a couple of holes, threw on some white paint (didn't have any appliance white - better match?)

Works great. Schlumpf thought there might be some interest in seeing some pics, so here they are!

I still need to work on getting my lighted magnifier and DC hose re-situated, but all in due time!

charlie knighton
08-18-2013, 12:31 PM
looks good John, you are ready for a cairn box now

Phil Rose
08-18-2013, 1:05 PM
Looks nice. I tried something similar ... Just mounted the cage and clamped on lights to try. Never thaought about cutting off all but the rod, however. my idea was to acquire a similar diameter piece of steel.

Worked great until I neede my steady rest and it was clearly in the way. Now I have an articulated arm setup that I constructed from pics I found on Sawmill Creek. Probably overkill, but there isn't an angle I can't get the lights to point, and it isn't in the way when I want to turn from the other side of the lathe.

Jeffrey J Smith
08-18-2013, 1:11 PM
John: I found the same ones on Ebay and bought two to adapt to my shop. Problem is, my wife "noticed" that they are the same lights that came on her long arm quilter and promptly commandeered one to augment her setup there was already a mount for a second light. I've either got to get faster getting things installed, or sneakier when the FedEx guy shows up.

Roger Chandler
08-18-2013, 2:12 PM
Nice setup, JK! Had it been mine to do, I probably would have just purchased a separate steel rod, and left the cage intact for the next owner......because you know in time, that Robust AB or some premium lathe is calling your name! :D A premium lathe, befitting of your professional status is certainly called for.............that being said.......

You might have to convince the formidable Mrs. K, why you NEED this upgrade! :rolleyes:;):D

I just HAVE to stir the pot sometimes! :p

Harvey M. Taylor
08-18-2013, 3:22 PM
I use a length of half in. emt for mine. Max

robert baccus
08-18-2013, 3:35 PM
Nice work--you cannot have too much light. Mine dims the neighborhood when I throw the switch.

Thom Sturgill
08-18-2013, 4:47 PM
Like Harvey I have a piece of 1/2" EMT, but mine has a channel welded to it and also supports the 'big gulp' for the DC

This allows me to use re-locatable magnetic based lamps. Nice point is that it moves with the head, but as mentioned it gets in the way of the Nichols steady rest. Easy to remove though. I'm left handed, so it is not in the way turning bowls.

John Keeton
08-18-2013, 4:48 PM
Robert, I have found that the older I get, the more light I need. Most folks that walk in my shop squint from the light!

Worked great until I needed my steady rest and it was clearly in the way.Phil, using the steady will necessitate moving the lights, but that will just take a few seconds, since the pin holding the rod is spring loaded.

Nice setup, JK! Had it been mine to do, I probably would have just purchased a separate steel rod, and left the cage intact for the next owner......because you know in time, that Robust AB or some premium lathe is calling your name! :D A premium lathe, befitting of your professional status is certainly called for.............that being said.......

You might have to convince the formidable Mrs. K, why you NEED this upgrade! :rolleyes:;):D

I just HAVE to stir the pot sometimes! :pRoger, I can honestly say I have no desire for a larger lathe. Not to say that at some point in the future my turning style won't change, but the Jet does everything asked of it and barring a failure, it will be around for a long time. I am driving a 2003 Corolla, if that says anything. And, my truck is a 2002! I tend to stick with what works.

I have said this before - the Delta 46-460 actually would work fine for what I do, but the extra weight and horsepower of the Jet and additional 4" of swing is kind of nice.

Jeremy Hamaker
08-20-2013, 3:48 PM
continuing off the topic, but I concur. As a 3520b owner, I find there's nothing I'm contemplating doing that could not also be done on the 1642. With the 2HP motor, it would be the same power as my 3520b, and slid to the end, well, the 1642 can swing the same size as the 3520b. That being said, I am still happy I bought the 3520b, but that's just cuz, well... MORE!

Back on topic: Oooh! Good idea to cut up the cage. At least then I can get -some- use out of that part. And also not feel like I have to "save" it anymore "just in case" since I have no intention of selling my lathe. ever.

Dwight Rutherford
08-20-2013, 7:31 PM
The comment about more light as one ages struck a cord. Here is my set up.

John Keeton
08-20-2013, 7:45 PM
Dwight, is your dentist still looking for his light fixture???:D Nice setup!

Fred Belknap
08-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Back on topic: Oooh! Good idea to cut up the cage. At least then I can get -some- use out of that part.

I use mine all the time, here is proof.

Dan Hintz
08-21-2013, 6:16 AM
I put this above my lathe (from Ikea)... covers the lathe form end to end, and the outer two are on hinges so I can redirect, as necessary. All 5 of the lights are independently adjustable and swivel nearly 360.

Jeremy Hamaker
08-21-2013, 1:47 PM
i use mine all the time, here is proof.

outstanding!!!!!!

Lee Koepke
08-24-2013, 10:08 AM
do ya'll use incandescent lighting? read that fluorescent lighting doesnt show sanding scratches well enough because of the lack of shadows. What type of lamp are you guys using?

Dan Hintz
08-24-2013, 10:24 AM
do ya'll use incandescent lighting? read that fluorescent lighting doesnt show sanding scratches well enough because of the lack of shadows. What type of lamp are you guys using?

Depends upon your type of fluorescent bulb... if it's the 3-4' long bulbs, then yes, that's a bit of a problem because the light output is over a large area. If it's merely a fist-sized bulb like a typical incandescent, then the light is still considered single-point and should still have no problems casting a shadow.

Jamie Donaldson
08-24-2013, 7:48 PM
Dwight, I've heard that some of these dentist's lamps require some rather rare and expensive bulbs? How specialized are they?

John Teichert
08-26-2013, 2:25 AM
Dan, I bought the same light for exactly the same reason. All the lights can swivel about, and I thought that the end extensions would give me the ability to put more light on the front of the piece. Now if I'll only get off my behind, run the line, put in the switch, install the box, and attach the lights I think it will be great.

How is this working out for you? How hot are the lights? I was worried about getting a sun tan on my natural edged head, and my low basement ceiling.

Denny Rice
08-26-2013, 3:41 AM
I thought I was the only guy that bought the cheap flexible lights at IKEA! LOL

Dan Hintz
08-26-2013, 7:33 AM
Dan, I bought the same light for exactly the same reason. All the lights can swivel about, and I thought that the end extensions would give me the ability to put more light on the front of the piece. Now if I'll only get off my behind, run the line, put in the switch, install the box, and attach the lights I think it will be great.

How is this working out for you? How hot are the lights? I was worried about getting a sun tan on my natural edged head, and my low basement ceiling.

I have a lower-than-average basement ceiling too, but at 5'-7" I'm probably a bit below average height, too ;) No real problem with heat from the lights (particularly in a cool basement, and I prefer warmth), though if it ever bothers me the LED replacements are pretty cheap.

Despite NEC code, I installed a cord on these guys and put them in a single-gang socket box (the round ones used for ceiling fans). I can move it, if I need to, but it's solid. I should probably put a switch on it, but meh... it's a three-prong plug, so I made sure the ground is connected to the metal, just in case.

robert baccus
08-26-2013, 11:19 PM
If you need an adjustable lamp with longer legs make one from 1"x1/2" staves. Copy the stiff arm one with one joint lamps with a light/reflector on the end. Add a swivel base on it--use bolts and nuts to allow tension at the joints. Mine must be 5-6 feet long out straight and will reach a huge area.