PDA

View Full Version : nova adapter gap on chuck

Adrian Anguiano
08-18-2013, 11:02 AM
I got a new lathe so I got a new 1 1/4”-8 nova insert for my teknatool supernova2 chuck. Off the bat I notice the new adapter is longer than the 1"-8 that I did have. And when I screw it all the way down there is a gap. It doesnt go all the way down.
Anyone have experience. Is this okay? Normal?

Roger Chandler
08-18-2013, 2:19 PM
If it seats to the bottom of the chuck body and runs true, then you are fine! Make sure you have it seated to the bottom of the inside of the chuck body, then make sure you have the set screw in place with the little red leather spacer underneath the set screw before you tighten the screw down to hold the insert in place.........this is important for not buggering up your threads.

Thom Sturgill
08-18-2013, 3:02 PM
You did not say if the adapter came from teknatool or is a third party adapter. Several members have had problems with the Woodcraft adapters that were not made by teknatool. Other than that I agree with Roger - it needs to seat on the inside not the outside.

Adrian Anguiano
08-18-2013, 3:12 PM
Its teknatools brand ILNS

Alan Trout
08-18-2013, 9:05 PM
The gap does not matter. As long as the nose of the adapter is seating properly in the chuck that is where it must register to turn true. If it does not turn true take the adapter back and get another. If it turns true you are good to go.