PDA

View Full Version : Oneway VS. Robust AB?

John Sincerbeaux
08-18-2013, 1:16 AM
It sure seems that the Robust AB would be a better choice of lathe just on this feature alone... the Sliding Headstock? Why do so many turners both pro and hobbyists choose Oneway with the stationary headstock. I am leaning towards the Robust mainly on the sliding headstock feature. Both lathes appear tops in their class.

Just wondering what the experienced turners here think?

Thanks!

Reed Gray
08-18-2013, 4:09 AM
I bought mine over the Oneway because of the sliding headstock. I turned on a 3520A for about 7 or 8 years before that. I have my lathe in a corner, so can't turn on the outboard end. I started on a little Atlas 4 speed lathe and didn't like bending over the bed to turn bowls. With the sliding headstock, you bet a bowl lathe and a spindle lathe. It drives me crazy to see turners who have the sliding headstock turning bowls in the long bed lathe mode. Oh well, that is me. I can't turn bowls on a long bed lathe any more. I know the techniques, but it feels so awkward to me now.

robo hippy

Eric Holmquist
08-18-2013, 5:57 AM
I chose Robust AB over Oneway for that and a few creature comforts.

Oneway has been in the market longer and is a much more familiar name, with an excellent reputation. I have many friends with Oneways, and at the time I bought mine, knew no one who had a Robust AB. I think Robust is starting to reach critical mass where enough folks have them, that people in the market for a top end lathe now have a good chance to know someone who has one, and have a chance to try before buy.

Dan Hintz
08-18-2013, 8:18 AM
The sliding headstock wasn't the main feature for me, it was the stainless steel ways... I can wet sand and use sopping green blanks to my heart content and not worry about keeping the bed dry.

Jeffrey J Smith
08-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm not a professional turner, or even particularly experienced, but I've been through this process.
For me, the act of turning is somewhat unique in how the tool is approached and used. Ergonomoics are more critical when your whole body is involved in the process. Every turner approaches the lathe differently, so there are going to be solutions that vary in their configurations. Just as PC users find the approach Mac takes on the user interface for computers odd and difficult to deal with, there's going to be those advocates for both solutions.
When I took on the decision of which to buy (throwing the Powermatic 4224 into the mix, too), I took the time to search out opportunities to turn on each candidate. I don't know about anyone else, but if I'm going to fork out that kind of cash, I'm going to make sure it works for me. The process brought me into contact with turners whose work I may never have discovered, new acquaintances, and was a lot of fun while being a great learning experience.
It also helped me find out which companies were likely to support their customers better. If they can't help you make a decision, put you into contact with happy users to get some experience with their products, perhaps your experience in solving the inevitable problems isn't going to be so great once you've bought into the system.
For me, after about a year of exploring options, I wound up with the Robust AB. The sliding headstock, the tilt-away tailstock, stainless ways, were icing on the cake to the support I got from Brent while pestering him for a local user I could bother with questions. All in all, it just felt right turning on it.

Alan Trout
08-18-2013, 11:31 AM
When it came time for me to buy a premium lathe I had a few needs/wants. I mostly do hollow vessels that are dry so sliding headstock and way material was not of great importance. But I wanted at least 24" swing, at least 40" between centers or the ability to and lengthen. and 3HP. I looked at the Oneway, Vicmarc, and the Robust. Pricing was a very similar and features varied between all of them. By far I felt the Robust was the most unique of the three. Offered the most in the standard package with the customizable features that I wanted. I ended up with the Longbed version, 3HP, foot operated off switch and the standard tilt away. For me the stainless ways, sliding headstock, and tilt away are a bonus that I have grown very fond of. Ergonomics are another thing. The Robust has great access with the ability to put your controls where you need them are a wonderful safety feature. The foot switch, which is probably not very popular, is one of the things I could not live without. When hollowing I can have my hands where they need to be and still shut off the machine. Just a fantastic safety feature. The best part of Robust is the Owners, Brent and Deb are very responsive and caring with their clients. They are a model for customer service which adds significantly to the value of their machines.

Roger Chandler
08-18-2013, 2:05 PM
For me.........the sliding headstock and the stainless steel ways are the two main things that would tilt the Robust AB in my favor.......the swing away tailstock is a great feature as well. I have turned on both an AB and a Oneway 2436........both are really sweet, but the Robust AB takes the prize because of the Stainless ways and sliding tailstock.

Reed Gray
08-18-2013, 2:23 PM
Hmm, the stainless ways (both Oneway and Robust have them) had nothing to do with my decision. If I had polished the cast ways on my PM, even with steel wool, they would have been worn down to nothing. They had a nice black patina when I sold the lathe.

robo hippy